Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm Blue Modules

When are we going to see these bare modules being sold separately? Even if they're more expensive, I don't see a reason why they couldn't be sold separately, aren't they the same lengths (approx.) as green modules?

jnrpop

Sounds good if it did end up happening, but how would the companies ever make money if it did?

daguin

Sounds good if it did end up happening, but how would the companies ever make money if it did?

They would charge a percentage above their cost. (Just like the green modules now) ;)

Peace,
dave

I've often wondered the same thing. I guess they figured there just wouldn't be a high enough demand for them considering there price :undecided: Even if they are modules and there price would be less than a complete build, they'd still be more than what most are willing to pay, i mean, i've heard plenty of members say $100 is too much for a laser build, what is that!? :wtf:
I've gone through over $600 in just diodes, let alone complete builds in the pursuit of this hobby, ya know?...............Sorry, lost myself for a second:D
Where were we? :D

jnrpop

just saw darkarmys thread saying he can build them.......maybe its already happening???

ZRTMWA

just saw darkarmys thread saying he can build them.......maybe its already happening???

Where did you see that? He was either talking about blu ray's or his build service where you ship him all of the parts to a laser and he will put it together for you.

jayrob

I'm just wondering if Dark was talking about combining green and blu-ray, or if he was talking about a DPSS 473nm module??
Jay

I've often wondered the same thing. I guess they figured there just wouldn't be a high enough demand for them considering there price :undecided: Even if they are modules and there price would be less than a complete build, they'd still be more than what most are willing to pay, i mean, i've heard plenty of members say $100 is too much for a laser build, what is that!? :wtf:
I've gone through over $600 in just diodes, let alone complete builds in the pursuit of this hobby, ya know?...............Sorry, lost myself for a second:D
Where were we? :D

$100 is a lot of money for some people, that's why it's so hard to have expensive hobbies :p

Well, I think somebody's gotta start somewhere, I mean, same thing with green modules... see, last year you could get a 5mW green pen from DX at 17 bucks or so, now they are less than 11 bucks, that's a lot of difference (even if it's little, 6 bucks is a lot in that price range). Same thing should happen with 473nm modules, expensive at first but when hobbyists start building their own 473nm lasers they should go down in price because of high demand (supply&demand :)).

No no, i didnt mean i can get/build 473nm modules (I WISH!!!)

I'm just wondering if Dark was talking about combining green and blu-ray, or if he was talking about a DPSS 473nm module??
Jay

Not DPSS, I was talking about combining green and BR with dichros. It would be a bulky build, but could be done fairly cheap i suppose. but i dont know how the quality of the beam would be, or if it would truely output 473nm exactly.

Doesnt the 7color build have "blue" 473nm as one of the colors? if so,
what mW is the green, and BR to achieve that color??

I could use that info, and i will spend some money and make one to show people it can be done "i hope :p"

Had to clear that up. i cant do DPSS anything lol

Tyler - Dark Lasers

jayrob

Doesnt the 7color build have "blue" 473nm as one of the colors? if so,
what mW is the green, and BR to achieve that color??

Tyler - Dark Lasers

On the two builds that I made, I have the power/color blend settings for your reference. I don't know exactly what color the blend is with green and blu-ray, but we are just calling it turquoise...

More details here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/b...ng-adjustable-sled-mount-heatsinks-41942.html

Settings:

50mW Green: (O-like/Stock driver/3.0 volt X 2 in parallel) - 39mW's after sled.

Red: (LPC/FlexDrive/AR acrylic/380mA's) - 145mW's after sled.

Blu-ray: (GGW 6X/FlexDrive/405-G-1/185mA's) - 174mW's after sled.

Color/power blend:

Yellow - 184mW's
Magenta - 319mW's
Turquoise - 213mW's
White - 358mW's

Notice that the power measurements are given 'after the sled optics'.

At this higher power, there can be some differences in power, and still get a nice color blend.

With a less powerful build, you won't have as much room for differences to get a nice color blend. The settings on my lower powered one is like so:

Power settings and diodes:

I stayed pretty close to the recommendations by rog8811 from the tutorial linked above. Here are my settings...

* Green (O-like 10mW) - I picked the best one I had, which measured 9mW's with a CR123.
* Red - Sony/Senkat - 92mA's (measured 42mW's with AixiZ acrylic back opened)
* Blu-ray - PHR - 118mA's (measured 110mW's with AixiZ acrylic back opened)

* Note: I lost a lot more than I should have through the sled optics on this first build, because I did not turn the modules to the best position to get best power through the polarized splitter cube. (a lesson learned)

* The green started out at 9mW's and comes out at 4mW's.
* The Red started out at 42mW's, and comes out at 26mW's.
* The blu-ray started out at 110mW's and comes out at only 20mW's. (* see note above)

Now just do the math for the 'in-between' colors! (yes, I tested them)

* Yellow - 30mW's
* Magenta - 46mW's
* Turquoise - 24mW's

* The white beam measures 50mW’s…
Jay

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

So does this mean if you had a 532nm and a 405nm that were the same visiblity say 200mW green and 800mW blu ray (I'm allowed to dream), would the nm output be right in the center, around 468.5nm?

Well, not exactly. It is actually a combination of the two wavelengths, which results in a multiline beam. A multiline beam cannot be expressed in terms of nm since there are multiple wavelengths present.

ZRTMWA

But are the seperate beams visible? In the DIY Seven Color Laser thread, it looked like one beam. I thought the white beam was amazing until I saw a video and it looked horrible, only the dot looked white. Could've just been the quality of the camera.

Edit: Post 250, I'm a quarter Vet

jayrob

That's the hardest part of the build...

Getting perfect beam alignment. The lasers have to be lined up not only at the dot, but also at the aperture. They you will have a nice beam...

Beam Shots: (smoke in a bottle)

7%20beams3.jpg

7%20beams4.jpg

7%20color21.jpg

sightfx's, kit is a work of art!
Jay