Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm Aquarius problem?

Hey guys,

I just got home about 10 minutes ago from school, came inside replied to a couple forums and then proceeded to turn on my Aquarius(which is kept in a case sold by LG and which happens to be pretty cold most of the time, but the Aquarius turned on perfectly before). Nevertheless, I turn it on and the dot is barely visible, the only way to make it brighter is to either keep it on for a couple of seconds(and even then, the dot is barely visible) or hold it in-between my covers for awhile. Thinking this was very weird I turned on my Anser and it seems to work perfectly. I know the crystals aren't misaligned since I can still see 473nm light.

Some details which may be of help:
Outside temperature: 11°C
Inside temperature(house): 18°C

Im just very concerned this could be something more serious, which is why I wanted to ask on LPF before I try anything else.

If you need some video footage I will gladly upload it.

Edit: Seems to somewhat work now, still paranoid. :(

Last edited:

What´s the status on the CR2 batt inside?

I don't have a way to meter it sadly(if that is what you are asking). I took out the battery which has been used since I received it, and inserted a fresh CR2 batt.

Last edited:

IsaacT

My conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius are a bit rusty, but 21 degrees celsius is basically room temp so that doesn't sound very cold. I would check the batteries like DJNY mentioned. You can use a multimeter to test the health of Lithium Ion batteries as they do degrade over time. Do a google search if you want to try it. Unfortunately I don't remember off the top of my head how to do it. LarryDFW could probably tell you how

My conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius are a bit rusty, but 21 degrees celsius is basically room temp so that doesn't sound very cold. I would check the batteries like DJNY mentioned. You can use a multimeter to test the health of Lithium Ion batteries as they do degrade over time. Do a google search if you want to try it. Unfortunately I don't remember off the top of my head how to do it. LarryDFW could probably tell you how

Thank you for the help WBS!

18 Degrees°C is about 67°F. LG specifies the Aquarius works best at 25-30°C so my idea was that the unit was too cold. About 1 minute ago I left it by my computer heater and it seems to work perfectly now :) I think the issue was the host/crystals being too cold? Isn't 473nm very temp sensitive?

Damn DPSS :beer:

IsaacT

It is very temperature sensitive, yes. As the crystals heat up or cool down, the wavelengths produced change. I am glad to hear that your laser is back to working. I almost want to make a laser case with a heatlamp to warm my lasers up a bit before use haha.

DPSSLs are generally temp sensitive although the lab lasers have measures to try and combat this such as better power supplies and temperature controls.

Your 473 was probably just running inefficiently and perhaps mode hopping while it warmed up. You may also notice it doing this while it runs, mode hops will be seen as very slight, barely noticeable flickers.

From what little I know about DPSS the pump diode has to be on top form in order for the process to work. If it's running a little cold or a little weak (batteries need replacing), and the wavelengths are not exactly right the efficiency goes right out the window because the coated crystals don't react to the IR light properly. This is why a DPSSL on low batteries will emit mostly or only IR - the power is still there but unless it's the correct amount the crystals won't react.

You should look into 593.5nm, it's a comically unstable process but has the amazing ability to sometimes lase 532nm and even occasionally (I think) 671nm, because of the very complex DPSS process used and the second harmonic wave generation through the crystals. I've even seen videos where it doesn't lase any visible colour at all for the first few seconds of having the power on.

Sorry, rambled a bit there! :beer:

Last edited:
It is very temperature sensitive, yes. As the crystals heat up or cool down, the wavelengths produced change. I am glad to hear that your laser is back to working. I almost want to make a laser case with a heatlamp to warm my lasers up a bit before use haha.

Thank you for the help WBS, I was starting to get real nervous thinking I had broken it or something ;)

+1(have to spread some around)

Edit: That might of been it aswell tech, I have no clue. Im just happy it's working again :) +1 to you aswell!

Last edited: