Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

450nm diodes still expensive?

They are about 2 legs and 3 to 4 kidneys :D

I think a 450 nm laser diode would be a big news here if they would be 'available', so I think that nobody here has one yet. YET.

do you mean 405nm?
No he means 450nm, as written, I glimphsed a datasheet once, those are blue diodes developedby nichia.
They went to 80mW according to datasheet, if I remember correctly (which I most likely do not :p)

EDIT: YAY my 500th post! I am 2M now :D

That are diode bars as far as I can tell.

I was refering to 5.6 mm can diodes, I know I saw a datasheet somewhere, there was max output of 80mW of 450 +-5nm light of those things...

I would believe that as far as 5.6mm diodes, 80mW might be the max.. You should try to be pretty specific about this stuff, since your statement might lead people to believe that 445nm diodes only go up to 80mW, which is false.

Last edited:
I would believe that as far as 5.6mm diodes, 80mW might be the max.. You should try to be pretty specific about this stuff, since your statement might lead people to believe that 445nm diode only go up to 80mW, which is false.
I am kinda, uh... confused.
I said that I think I saw 80mW max power on 5.6 mm version on 445 (or 450nm) diodes... where is the problem?

Anyway, I did not make a 'statement', I was refering to my pretty defective memory :crackup:

^have a look at post #4. that's the post I was initally responding to.. there's no reference to the type of diode there.

Last edited:
Yeah, me saying that nobody here has one of those things yet.
Where is the 80mW max power problem?!

Auch, hold on, couple o' posts below I said the 450nm diodes IN GENERAL went up to 80mW, and you said I should be more specific: 5.6mm cans go to 80mW, not all 450nm diode lasers.

My bad dude, sorry for confusion! I'll try to be more specific in near-to-mid future in posting info about solid state diode lasers... in 5.6mm cans :crackup:

Not a problem. Just trying to make sure that the info people see here is accurate, no offense intended.

None taken! Yup, my bad definetly, I was just assuming we are all interested in 5.6 mm cans, since 450nm handheld done yourself would be something.
Big black labby box is kinda... not something :D Take it out for skypointing :crackup:

I just ask because I was perusing osram's site, they have a new 450nm 50mW max laser diode can. I had known 473nm were expensive and were actually dpss lasers, I just thought it interesting that there is a diode that has a color close to that blue.

I'm starting to worry that this new-found hobby of mine might be more expensive than my last one (which was more expensive than the one before it)

Ooh don't worry, the only thing more expensive than building laser would be...
Um...
Selling wooden furnaces. Yeah.

This is one damn expensive hobby, however it has it's offers , depending of your situation...

I am yet to see a green laser with more than 50mW and a bluray with more than 100 (PHR), and a red over 200 mW (16x dvd).

However you can develop a great skill building lasers even on such cheap ones. Making 8x laser is practically identical to PHR one, except for more fun afterwards :D

Laser diodes have been/can be made in any color of blue or violet you want, and up to green (this is not including the red end of the spectrum, I'm talking about nitride lasers in the blue end of the spectrum). Diodes have been made from <380nm UV all the way up to 531nm green (highest reported as of now), and can be made at any wavelength between those values, it's just a matter of making it.

All those colors in the middle are quite pretty, actually. :D

meh, I want a blue laser still. and there's no way I am spending hundreds to get so little power with a DPSS *sigh* I suppose I could always use a PBS cube and a green and BR together.. but somehow I suspect that will be a real pain to do...