Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

450mW module on ebay

Grix

Last edited:

Been wondering about those myself, he lists the wavelength was 658nm which is about the same as LOC diodes and the like, maybe he has a bunch of overdriven diodes sitting there?

Grix

Been wondering about those myself, he lists the wavelength was 658nm which is about the same as LOC diodes and the like, maybe he has a bunch of overdriven diodes sitting there?

Naaah, no way he's driving a LOC at 450mW.. He has zero negative feedbacks, so it seems the modules he sell doesn't just die after a few weeks..

EDIT: Then again, it might not be up-to-spec..

EDIT2: Haha, look at his feedback, he bought some goggles from O-like :p

Last edited:
Good point, I was remembering a post wrong, it said 500mA not mW :oops: It's a very tiny module, I agree, but he could be using a very tiny PBS cube? Or magic? :na:

well.... no neg FB in a year--52 sold --8 since aug 23- no reserve =lowest price was 81$ says they 'ship' in 72 hrs---but that does not mean same as receive-- but they come from Turkey???

GreenMechanic has a freak LCC or loc that has run a long time now outputting that much--saw it in person-- try sniping a low ball price of 70$ on a bunch of listings worth stab at it IMHO keep us informed if you do.

Benm

Well, its says

"can be drived from 70mA to 585mA"

at the description. The latter seems like an awful lot for a LOC diode, probably resulting in a life of 5 hours rather than the stated 5000 hours. Also, it wouldn't produce 450 mW by far.

The combination of specs exclude LOC/LCC diodes, but perhaps its multimode. I can imagine that such diodes can sometimes be obtained cheaply: for example if they were intended to be 635/640 but came out 658 due to some production error.

I like the heatsink/module too, but the price is a bit steep to ordered it and find out what it actually is/does ;)

Howie

Who all is bidding on these?

I'm not trying to do anything unethical or anything but there are a number of these available and I don't want to run the price up on one when others are available.

Benm

I was just looking at the buy now prices...

I'd be happy to bid a small amount on one of them just to get some more information about what they actually are. If i can get one at a very low price i'll try to get a bid in last second to investigate - or someone else here can if they want to.

It seems like a couple of people are bidding for them as it is though, and i'm not willing to spend any serious amount of money on these units before i know what they actually are.

I have a few of those from that guy. Not anywhere near 400mW

Highest of the batch was 231mW. I de-epoxied one and got the diode out of it. They're open can TO18 diodes. and the drivers aren't anything special either. Best off saving your money. Especially since the modules use a REALLY course thread for the lenses.. so focusing is a PITA.

I will give the guy this though. he's REALLY easy to deal with. He even sent me a free one with TTL mod after I did BIN on the wrong auction. Though since they're just LOC's with linear regulators.. he still made a killing on it even sending a free one.

Last edited:

Grix

I have a few of those from that guy. Not anywhere near 400mW

Highest of the batch was 231mW. I de-epoxied one and got the diode out of it. They're open can TO18 diodes. and the drivers aren't anything special either. Best off saving your money. Especially since the modules use a REALLY course thread for the lenses.. so focusing is a PITA.

I will give the guy this though. he's REALLY easy to deal with. He even sent me a free one with TTL mod after I did BIN on the wrong auction. Though since they're just LOC's with linear regulators.. he still made a killing on it even sending a free one.

Damn. Thanks for the info.

My guess is the main reasons he has good feedback are because 1) most people don't have LPM's. and 2) he's really easy to deal with and I think he's probably sent out a lot of those free units to keep people quiet.. but at $140 though heh. you could build 4 or 5 equivalent LOC lasers for what he's selling those for each.

My guess is the main reasons he has good feedback are because 1) most people don't have LPM's. and 2) he's really easy to deal with and I think he's probably sent out a lot of those free units to keep people quiet.. but at $140 though heh. you could build 4 or 5 equivalent LOC lasers for what he's selling those for each.

Thanks for the info... I still find it surprising that no one has complained with them being around half power. I would think someone would notice even without an LPM. If he is buying his feedback with free merch that just sucks for those unsuspecting.

It looked like an interesting unit anyway.

I'll try and take pics and stuff of the one I haven't messed with yet tomorrow and meter it again. The 231mw was from memory but I KNOW it wasn't over 300. much less 400.

madog

I'll try and take pics and stuff of the one I haven't messed with yet tomorrow and meter it again. The 231mw was from memory but I KNOW it wasn't over 300. much less 400.

I too bought one about nine months or so ago. I just got an ophir 20c-a catcher a couple weeks ago (thanks again lasersbee!) and the highest reading I could get was about 250mw. At that time the only experience I had was with my 175mw Hulk so I didn't realize that it was operating at half power. I'm considering upgrading the wallwort that I currently have it connected to. It is operating at 12volts and 1000ma. It gets a little warm after being left on for ten minutes or so.