Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm splash

Hey.

Just got my first 445nm (447nm CNI) laser. Beautiful wavelength! :)

Just curious about your experience with splashing from these diodes?

See the attached picture. It looks a bit worse than it actually is due to the dot is pointed to a black surface on a white paper around it. But shows the "problem".

IMG_0149_rezise.jpg

Dirt on the lens? ^^

Sorry for picture quality. iPhone camera. Only thing available atm. :)

The elongated beam will reflect off of the inside of the module and the aperture of the lens.
What you see looks "normal."
It could also be internal reflections in the lens elements.

Or it could be the didn't press the diode if perfectly straight since the splash is only on one side....
It is normal to have the splash around the dot, but it looks like its just off to one side in the pic.

well, I have it more or less equally on either side of the main rectangle. its not dirt since it doesnt rotate with the lense. The only way I can think of fixing it is to use a lense with a further focal point. then it can be screwed in further for the same effect.

Thank you for your replies. Feels good that it's normal. Too bad that I cannot do anything about it.

Perhaps I can coat the inside of the front part of the head with some black soft material absorbing the splash?

The laser have about 3-4 cm (1.18 - 1.57in) free space from diode to the exit aperture.

Then again the black material cannot melt or burn inside there. :>

Ohwell. Again, thanks.

Mikael

Morgan

I have similar aberrations with one of my low power, ~200mW, builds. Still visible when the lens is removed so I think it's actually reflection from the sides of the window as the diode is pressed in just fine to the Aixiz module it's in. More annoying are reflections in a high power, ~1,350mW, build that seem to be from small solder blobs on the front of the die casing. I'll try to get some pics when it comes back from testing.

Annoying but hey, it's blue!

M
:)

ZapU

^^ This is not the Arctic. It is the CNI 447nm laser.

Been bouncing around reading different threads, my bad. :spank:
Obviously, I have the same problem with the Artic. I'll take it to the appropriate thread.

would require that the interior housing and the edge of each lens is flat black paint and may also be reducing the output beam

Last edited:

Morgan

^It's not the lens. I get the same aberrations without any lens at all.

M
:)