Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm lasers on DX

Well...portable lasers were fun while they were legal...

Last edited:

joeyss

I pray these are poorly heatsinked and old a130s. Let's hope they have a short life when the morons try and use them with a 100% duty cycle.

Like this is any different than everyone else (O-like, Rayfoss, LPF) selling Class IV lasers?

It's pointless to try to keep the morons at bay, IMO. Those who are naturally inclined to ruin the world will do so regardless.

The worst part of Chinese mass production, I think, is that DIY has almost disappeared from this forum. Fighting for public safety is an exercise in futility if the public doesn't care.

ARG

Like this is any different than everyone else (O-like, Rayfoss, LPF) selling Class IV lasers?

It's pointless to try to keep the morons at bay, IMO. Those who are naturally inclined to ruin the world will do so regardless..

So many more people know about DX though, hardly anyone knows about o-like or rayfoss...

My first thought was "Oh man I hope these have the usual DX 'quality'" followed by "For once I'm glad they enforce the no lasers over 5mw shipped to the US" rule. Although the 50mw red pen I got from them in the recent GB is still going strong.

The 473 actually looks like it's FDA compliant. I wonder who supplies them. CNI maybe since they make products that are FDA compliant.

Benm

I pray these are poorly heatsinked and old a130s. Let's hope they have a short life when the morons try and use them with a 100% duty cycle.

I think you can keep praying then :)

Looking at the size and materials used, it actually seems a pretty decent host, although not fit for 100% duty. Question remains is the quality of the driver, which have been notoriously bad on DX products.

I expect this to be quite usable with perhaps a bit of work on the driver, and probably a lens upgrade.

As for morons shining these things around: I am affraid this will go horribly wrong at some point. The 200 mW affordable lasers are a hazard as it is, but kids waving around class-4 lasers is evem more worrysome. Even a short hit with one of these is likely to cause eye damage.

Last edited:

joeyss

The thing is they can damage your eyes From 300+ feet away if you take a direct hit.

Benm

Possible - i have no idea about with what optics the DX lasers come, so not much on the best achieveable divergence either. I suppose the multimode 445s diodes are a bliss though, since the beam will have bad divergence in any case - at long distances its probably as dangerous as a 200 mW red focussed properly.