Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm High Power Lens

Ive been reading around and I think I have found the answer or at least what was an answer at one point. Is the general consensus still that the 405 g-1 is the best option?

If so where is the best place to pick one up?
:thanks:

There is something you need to consider before you make a decision:

Power vs. Beam quality-
The high power lenses are single element aspherics. They collect the most light from the diode and losses are small. While the power is ~25% greater than with a 3 element Aixiz lens, the beam profile is much more elongated. The beam diameter at the aperture will be much smaller (~0.7x4mm) but this means that divergence will be larger (beam diameter and divergence are inversely related).

The Aixiz 445nm lenses use 3 elements. This causes more loss in the optics. Also, the numerical aperture is not as large. Some of the beam gets "cut off." The beam diameter at the aperture is much larger (~4x5mm) but the divergence angle is smaller. This lens forfeits much of the power for a more "acceptable" beam overall.

If your only concern is close range burning, go with the high power lens.
If you want a beam that is ok for pointing and long distances, stick with the Aixiz 445.

Due to the nature of these diodes, collimating the light is difficult without optics designed for beam correction.
The beam characteristics of single-mode diodes with the high power lenses is much better than with these multi-mode 445nm diodes.

You can get the high power lenses from 2 sources. They are actually coated for ~405nm but transmission at 445nm is still very, very good.
LarryDFW sells them in a custom brass mount with tighter thread tolerances.
Jayrob sells them in a modified Aixiz mount.

From either seller they cost about $60.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Not sure what I care more about but a nice beam is pretty hard to beat.

This lens isnt the 405 g-1 is it? I have this on my current 445nm.
HighTechDealZ - Aixiz 405nm Coated Glass Lens

I will have 2 445nm running soon so Im thinking of making one a burner at 1.5A and the other just a nice low divergence beam sky pointer at 1A.

There is something you need to consider before you make a decision:

Power vs. Beam quality-
The high power lenses are single element aspherics. They collect the most light from the diode and losses are small. While the power is ~25% greater than with a 3 element Aixiz lens, the beam profile is much more elongated. The beam diameter at the aperture will be much smaller (~0.7x4mm) but this means that divergence will be larger (beam diameter and divergence are inversely related).

The Aixiz 445nm lenses use 3 elements. This causes more loss in the optics. Also, the numerical aperture is not as large. Some of the beam gets "cut off." The beam diameter at the aperture is much larger (~4x5mm) but the divergence angle is smaller. This lens forfeits much of the power for a more "acceptable" beam overall.

If your only concern is close range burning, go with the high power lens.
If you want a beam that is ok for pointing and long distances, stick with the Aixiz 445.

Due to the nature of these diodes, collimating the light is difficult without optics designed for beam correction.
The beam characteristics of single-mode diodes with the high power lenses is much better than with these multi-mode 445nm diodes.

You can get the high power lenses from 2 sources. They are actually coated for ~405nm but transmission at 445nm is still very, very good.

From either seller they cost about $60.

Excellant explaination RA-- only thing I would add is that for the price of one G-1 lens you can buy 5 AixiZ glass lenses. Plus due to the robust nature of these diodes- it only requires a little more mAs to get equal power.

TY --len

Ok thanks! Not sure what I care more about but a nice beam is pretty hard to beat.

This lens isnt the 405 g-1 is it? I have this on my current 445nm.
HighTechDealZ - Aixiz 405nm Coated Glass Lens

I will have 2 445nm running soon so Im thinking of making one a burner at 1.5A and the other just a nice low divergence beam sky pointer at 1A.

No, that is the Aixiz 445nm lens.

Here is the high power lens:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-405-g-1-glass-lens-mod-31-increase-vs-aixiz-22497.html

id love a high powered lens, does it boost the power of the diode?

lol

Last edited:

If you're going for a lower divergence star pointer, why not run it at 500mA? It will inherently have a better beam and be much safer than at 1A.

If you're going for a lower divergence star pointer, why not run it at 500mA? It will inherently have a better beam and be much safer than at 1A.

Well the 1A is built already. The 1.5 will be for burning.

So the lens I have is already ideal for star sky pointing and divergence?

The dot is quite large on distant objects no matter how I focus it. (Never any windows or people near by no worries im careful.)

SHIN

I also use 445-G-2(405-G-2) in a blank lens mount from Axiz or a red glass lens.

Excellent quality as or slightly above 405-G-1.

SHIN

id love a high powered lens, does it boost the power of the diode?

lol

Well, we could all type "high transmission lens" but I think that "high power" gets the message across. After all, most of the members here already know what we are referring to when we say "405-G-1" or "high power" lens. Also, note that there is a difference between "high power" and "high powered." Literacy is a useful tool. ;)

Well the 1A is built already. The 1.5 will be for burning.

So the lens I have is already ideal for star sky pointing and divergence?

The dot is quite large on distant objects no matter how I focus it. (Never any windows or people near by no worries im careful.)

The "nature" of these diodes makes it impossible to get a tight beam with basic collimating optics. A large beam is unavoidable.
If your laser is built already and you have a glass 405-445nm lens already installed, that is the best beam you are going to get for a reasonable price and with minimal modification.
The lens you linked to is probably the lens you already have.

DrSid

I dream about single mirror setup which would collimate and correct at the same time. I can dream, can I ?

DTR

I would also note that Jay's is mounted very cleanly with a machined spacer/retainer instead of using glue. The glue just worries me with running 1-2W through the lens.;) The lenses in my builds tend to get a little warm.:eek:

Last edited: