Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm and skin contact?

Just wondering if anyone on here has experienced (accidentally or on purpose) beam to skin contact? I ask because I can burn dark items with my 250mw red, but it doesn't burn skin (at least with short (<5 secs duration) contact)... do I need skin protection with the 445nm 1W lasers?

And I already have the eye protection covered... I think I have goggles now for every wavelength except IR, which just scares me... :)

Thanks for the info,

Dave

Yes. It hurts like hell after less than a second at regular focus.

Good protection? Don't shine it on your skin lol. You won't be hurt from diffuse reflections, although a diffused reflection on your skin from close range, you can feel the warmth after several seconds.

Last edited:

anselm

At the typical power levels, around 1 Watt, It'll definitely sting you, even when focussed to infinity....

Do you need protection? Well if you keep burning yourself maybe...
crazy.gif

I'd say no, not like you need for the eyes.

Hihi, it does sting....:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/f...on-doesnt-believe-spartan-can-burn-56806.html

Last edited:
It kinda feels like stabbing yourself with a hot soldering iron. The "manly" guys at work say "its just light"...HAHAHA until they try it. then I get the last laugh when they are jumping around shaking their burnt hand.

It burns skin just as well through clothes if the power is high enough, btw :evil:

Edit: I'm tallking about the beam being focused to infinity, not a pinpoint, by the way

Last edited:
Thanks everybody... and that video is priceless! The guy's hand SMOKED! I hope this wavelength is long enough that it doesn't cause UV like effects long term! Wouldn't want the guy growing new appendages out of the back of his hand! :)

I left my laser on, and went to pickup my cell. Coming back my right hand passed over the beam to get to my computer mouse. I was wearing goggles at the time so I didn't see the beam.

Felt like a sting... 1W 445nm set to infinity... my had was moving pretty fast though.

That video just doesn't get old:D

There a part time guy at work... didn't believe that lasers could burn either. I let him try the same thing, except the laser was defocused and from ~5 feet away.

Haha! I did the same thing at work with my 80mW PHR to my BOSS! She didn't think it could possibly hurt you... now she won't let me take them into work :p

Hmm, looks exactly like a burn I had from a grill press. Will leave a nasty scar.

What that guy did takes some effort though.

jacko

Great video, I have to admit that I tryed it on me with a 1.2w Olike 445 laser
just to see if it would burn! it really hurt! and I wouldnt recommend it. . . . by the way, mine was focused.

Last edited:

genius

like touching a hot stove or pan
immediate pain, if we are talking about over 50mW
under might be immediate or 2 seconds later LOL