Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

40W CO2 Laser Photos

Here's a few photos I took today of a 40W CO2 laser setup. I'll be videoing it tomorrow so a video will be available soon. I fired it up today as it was slow in the afternoon. All I can say is to keep flammable items out of the beam, lol.

This is the tube on the bench with the cooling lines and power connections set up.
IMAG0086.jpg

An image of the power supply
IMAG0087.jpg

The cooling system is a small ThermoTek solid state recirculating chiller. I had to do a bit of retrofitting so I could use the smaller cooling lines.
IMAG0088.jpg

The business end of the CO2 system
IMAG0089.jpg

Trevor

These fascinate me, but I really don't ever want one. They scare me kind of a lot. :p

-Trevor

I don't get to play with CO2 systems much but they are always fun when I do. No need to be afraid, just be respectful. Sealed CO2 systems are some of the least expensive, high powered systems you can get.

Trevor

I don't get to play with CO2 systems much but they are always fun when I do. No need to be afraid, just be respectful. Sealed CO2 systems are some of the least expensive, high powered systems you can get.

My unease is mostly derived from the fact that I live in a college dorm right now. A CO2 laser in that environment is the opposite of a good idea. :tinfoil:

I guess I'll revisit it when I have my own apartment/home? :p

-Trevor

Yeah with that glass tube in your dorm room with the water cooling lines, your friends will probably be trying to stuff their smoke into your new "bong."

Your HV lead seems rather close. The 30-40kV starting pulse might be enough to arc to your clamp.

Trevor

Yeah with that glass tube in your dorm room with the water cooling lines, your friends will probably be trying to stuff their smoke into your new "bong."

Nooooo no no no. Not quite. I just don't trust people with high powered lasers.

Anything but my HeNe's waits until after 2AM or so to come out to play. ;)

-Trevor

It hasn't yet but I only tested it for a few seconds. Didn't see or hear any arcing. I'll make any adjustments tomorrow when I video it. I really wasn't going to run it today. My main goal was to test the cooling system and verify there were no leaks.

Does that cooling device just circulate water? Or does it circulate and actually take heat away from water on the way through?

I'm not getting a C02 till I have a cement walled garage to work with.

They usually have a TEC to cool down the water. Low cooling capacity but they're handy for stuff like quick testing.

But a 40W tube only generates like... 250W of heat. When someone had one of those taken apart on PL, I think there were either 8 or 10 40W TECs, so it should be able to cool continuously.

My system is a recirculating chiller. It cools the water via TEC. It will actually heat the water if I wanted it to. I have it set to standard temperature (25C).

I didn't think they had that many TECs in them - they must not be driven very hard, as running full power would need a lot of airflow to keep them cool.

For something like these tubes, an automotive heater core or a PC water cooling radiator would be adequate.

Things

CO2's are fun, but there is nothing scarier than walking past the table its on, and feeling warmness on your face from a diffuse reflection :p

Also, they STING if you accidentally put your arm/hand thru the beam. Don't ask :D

From a diffuse reflection?? Yikes...

Great. Now I'm never to going to be brave enough to own one.

Perhaps I'll permanently install one behind the wall, aimed to light my fireplace when I want a fire... and want one now!

co2 are fun , not the best thing to put hand in front of :p , i only use water and radiator to cool mine does a pritty good job :p , watching something burn with a 1" diamiter burn circule looks kinda cool :p