Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

40W CO2 Laser for $260...?

Would love to get a CO2 system, but I don't like the idea of a very fragile glass tube shipped all the way from China.

IsaacT

^what he said. I would look for a reputable US based seller.

Things

No, it's water cooled, and no, usually you won't have issues shipping CO2 lasers from China if they pack them well. Most of the time it's at least 16 layers of bubble wrap, PVC pipe and maybe 4 or so wraps of dense foam. I have bought a few and never had one break.

I wouldn't recommend buying a CO2 laser unless you have an actual use for it. They're completely invisible, even to cameras, are in no way portable, and really serve no other purpose besides use in a laser engraver/cutter.

More expensive, but U.S based
Death Ray Tubes : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
Edit: never, pick up only :eek:

deathray001.jpg
:eek:

~ LB

So this is a legit CO2 laser system for only $260? Isn't that a bit cheap for a 40W CO2 laser ready to use?

It is a good price from a good shop. Things is right though, unless you're going to do materials processing you'll have no use for one, and they are huge unwieldy monsters with deadly HV and water cooling.

they are huge unwieldy monsters with deadly HV and water cooling.

Oh stop it, you're making me hot. :angel:

In my opinion, they are fun for experimentation if you plan to get into gas lasers. Its a good experience to learn how to set one up, how to operate it, how to maintain it, how to interact with the beam.

They do take up lots of space, but if you've got the space to spare - they are worth experiencing at least once.

Last edited:

Things

Yeah, that's the problem. It's fun torching the crap out of stuff with them a few times at first, but then after that if you have nothing to use it in, it just sits on a shelf :)

Last edited:
Sooo that calls for a rent type of situation...? That would be an interesting prospect, lugging around fragile (and heavy) glass around :D

I made my 15W portable my enclosing it in an acrylic case with closed loop water cooling on board. It still requires mains power so an extension cord limits your range, but I'd like to test it on a small inverter and a SLA, as it only consumes about 160W of power.

I just haven't worked out a good way of mounting the 100mm FL ZnSe lens in the right spot yet.