Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

409 vs 405

Im looking for some comparisons and posible sources for 409nm diodes...

sk8er4514 said:
http://www.google.com

KNOWN sources...

Im an IT profesional.. i know how to google...

your post was total spam... if you dont have something REAL to contribute, then dont..

Why do you need 409 instead of 405? What can you do with one that you can't do with the other? How do you know you're not already using a 409 diode (since they vary that much from diode to diode)?

Plus, you're going to have a really hard time finding that without paying TONS of money. The wavelength can vary that much from diode to diode alone (in fact, manufacturers typically say "405 +/5" in their data sheets). Getting exactly 409 is going to be a custom-order job. You can get a bunch of PHR-803T diodes and measure the peak output of each one to see which is the highest, that'll get you higher than 405, but if you want exactly 409 and nothing else, it'll likely have to be custom-ordered.

And, it'll have to be used at only an exact temperature and power, as well. Both temperature and the power being output affect the wavelength profile of the diode.

jayrob

I have noticed that there are some slight differences in the 803T diodes. Not that I have a way to measure the wavelength or anything. But with two beams or dots, side by side, you can see a slight difference in some. Enough difference, so that the ones that are 'more blue', are visually brighter....even if it measures less on the power meter!
Jay

Here is a Laser Color Spectrum Chart. :cool:

Attachments

• spectrumchartv10.JPG
    spectrumchartv10.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 170

Kage

jayrob said:
I have noticed that there are some slight differences in the 803T diodes. Not that I have a way to measure the wavelength or anything. But with two beams or dots, side by side, you can see a slight difference is some. Enough difference, so that the ones that are 'more blue', are visually brighter....even if it measures less on the power meter!
Jay

Bingo! I just discovered this myself last night. I took 2 identical blurays - PHR-803t, one running at 100mW and one at 125mW out to play. To my surprise, the beam of the 100mW had twice the visibility of the 125mW! So, apparently a very small difference in nM makes a Big difference in visibility at this wavelength. Or it could be a freakishly longer wave diode - maybe out of spec a little?

drlava

Yes, I have noticed this, too even with PS3 diodes. The ones that were in the 408/409nm region looked much brighter than the 405/404nm ones. You know, there must be a trash bin in a quality control department in a laser diode factory somewhere that is throwing out 410nm and above diodes!

i was under the impression that bluray was 409 range and hddvd was 405 range..

i figured the 409 range had a better chance of being more visable.. thats why i asked..

IgorT

jayrob said:
I have noticed that there are some slight differences in the 803T diodes. Not that I have a way to measure the wavelength or anything. But with two beams or dots, side by side, you can see a slight difference is some. Enough difference, so that the ones that are 'more blue', are visually brighter....even if it measures less on the power meter!

Untill you mentioned this for the first time, i thought i was imagining things.. ;D

It's surprising they would vary that much, to be noticable. I wonder how many nm that actually is. Would we really notice a 5nm difference?

jayrob

IgorT said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1217520208/0#4 date=1217522629]I have noticed that there are some slight differences in the 803T diodes. Not that I have a way to measure the wavelength or anything. But with two beams or dots, side by side, you can see a slight difference in some. Enough difference, so that the ones that are 'more blue', are visually brighter....even if it measures less on the power meter!

Untill you mentioned this for the first time, i thought i was imagining things..  ;D

It's surprising they would vary that much, to be noticable. I wonder how many nm that actually is. Would we really notice a 5nm difference?[/quote]

I wonder how many nm too... I have one that is much 'bluer', and thus much brighter visually! :) Guessing 5 ish nm, but it sure seems like more...
Jay

IgorT

Yeah, i mean it's hard to imagine 5nm more would be that much "brighter".. Kage said a beam had twice the brightness of the other one.. But the eye sensitivity chart does increase exponentially just around this point. Maybe one was under 405 and the other above, which would make the difference more profound.

With mine, this difference was just above the treshold - barelly noticable. I wasn't 100% if it's there or not, i just had a feeling it is brighter. But i would mix up the lasers, and i could tell which one is which every single time.

I guess i'll just have to start comparing the beam brightness, and hopefully find another one like that!

I once had an 803 diode at around 100mW that appeared much brighter than my 170mW (at the time) 6x blu-ray. I couldn't figure it out but now it all makes sense!!!

jayrob

GooeyGus said:
I once had an 803 diode at around 100mW that appeared much brighter than my 170mW (at the time) 6x blu-ray. I couldn't figure it out but now it all makes sense!!!

I've got that similar scenario! I have an 803T at 100mA's in my Pocket Pal host (AixiZ acrylic), that is just as bright (visually) as my 6 X at 140mA's with a Meredith glass lens!
Jay

IgorT

GooeyGus said:

I really hope i find such a diode! :eek: