Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm pen-style laser - ebay

i am very wary of staying away from ebay when it comes to lasers, but something really caught my eye today - a bluray laser pointer in a pen housing running off 2x AAA batteries.

i know alot of users have made/sold their own bluray in a box for cheap recently and i appreciate the effort they put into it, but just didnt fancy a box running off a 9v battery.

this pen-style bluray laser is something ive been craving for the past few months.
just wanted some input off u guys if u think theres a catch or major disadvantage with this unit.
they claim its under 10mw but if its outputting anything between 4-8mw id b satisfied with this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brandnew-Qual...ryZ14954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Switch

It does run off two 3.7V cells.But there is no info on how he's driving it, which ,I'm sure , is the kind of info everybody wants to know.
Anyway at $125 , it's more than 10 times cheaper than the sonar....

Milos

Its a nice idea. I was thinking of the same battery supply for my future pen style DIY.
I don't know anything about this seller, but if you decide to buy it, you gotta understand that those are not regular 1.5V AAAs. Thy are lithium Ion rechargable batteries that output over 4V peak, and will require charger. I own 2 of those and I personally think they are great. So if you put regular AAAs you will not be getting enough voltage for diode to start leasing.

let us know if you buy it. I'm curious how well it works.

Jayls5

At first I was like "wow, that's cheap"

Then I noticed the US dollar conversion is like $240 lol.

It doesn't appear to be out yet... he's waiting on receiving the order himself.

unless you make your own there isnt a driver small enough to convert 3v into 5v trust me i have looked )

Milos

andy_con said:
unless you make your own there isnt a driver small enough to convert 3v into 5v trust me i have looked )

the guy is getting over 7V from his two AAAs.

Switch

Jayls5 said:
At first I was like "wow, that's cheap"

Then I noticed the US dollar conversion is like $240 lol.

It doesn't appear to be out yet... he's waiting on receiving the order himself.

Awh crap, those are pounds :'( Still many times better than the sonar....

geez, only 2 in 5 people notice it ISNT AAA's?

read entire auctions before you assume something, not doing so is how you get scammed!

EEK... you can see the laser itself in that picture... look at the friggin divergence of it! Gotta be 2mrad! It looks like its because its shining towards the camera but you can see the angle of the laser...

Switch

BlueFusion said:
EEK... you can see the laser itself in that picture... look at the friggin divergence of it! Gotta be 2mrad! It looks like its because its shining towards the camera but you can see the angle of the laser...

I don't know...My beam shots always come up looking like that 2, but the divergence isn't that bad.I think it's a camera thing....It can't be as abd as 2mRad with a blu-ray diode can it? :-/

I still don't get why don't the respectable companies make some 405nm pointers, they would blow WL off the blu-ray market....or at least force them to drasticly drop the sonar's price.

rkcstr

That was exactly what I was thinking about making, but the Li-ion batteries it uses are non-protected batteries, meaning that if you keep using them below a certain voltage (~2.75V, I think), they'll be damaged and stop working. They don't make AAA sized protected cells yet, if ever. So, I just decided to use a 9v in a small enclosure, will work just as well and I won't have to worry about damaging the batteries.

What would have been more impressive would have been if they designed a boost circuit driver to run it off of two regular voltage AAAs that will all fit in a pointer case.

Switch

Can you make a voltage regulator small enough to fit in a pen? So when the batteries reach 2.75V it just stops workin...

It's probably just a resistor...
Then again, it could be an APC circuit. They are essentially a couple transistors and can be teeny.