Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm 5mW Electra LaserGlow

Alright,

I am currently saving for the Electra and have never gotten a "clear" response :thinking:

I know 5mW of 405nm will be dim and I am alright with that, but I am still confused about how dim?

In my opinion it would be similar to 1mW of 650nm and that seems fair enough to me but I am not 100% sure. Any help would be greatly welcomed :beer:

Livinloud is right, but I don't think that calculator is completely accurate, it says 5mW of 532 has a 5X more visible beam than 500mW of 405. I don't think so. 500mW of 405 isnt too bright for sure, but it beats 5mW of 532

Alright, thanks guys.

Wasn't expecting it to be too bright :D but I must get it to complete the collection haha.

Someday I'm going to fire up all of my lasers and just arrange them in a circle for a nice pic :p unfortunately things like expensive brand-name matching hosts must be sacrificed to get a nice rainbow of colors

Last edited:
And also I may be wrong(and most likely am) but it seems LG is the only company which sells 635nm as a "pointer".

And after looking around, they consider 405nm an exotic color, which to me is quite exotic(I know 589/593.5 are more exotic) which is why it is priced so high :D

I'm sure it's partly for the marketing effect :p since many laser noobs have only seen red and green

NO4H99

Why not try Dragon Lasers. They also sell CNI pens, so they should match your others. They are also cheaper than LG and have free shipping if you order within the next month.

Why not try Dragon Lasers. They also sell CNI pens, so they should match your others. They are also cheaper than LG and have free shipping if you order within the next month.

Meh, I did think about them but I really like the fact LG test's their lasers. This may sound weird and most likely is but I like my lasers a certain way ;) I like to know exactly the output and really hate them to be overspec :D

I have some 405nm 5mW pointers I've given to co-workers as gifts and stuff. It's actually not as bad as you think. Not great for actual 'presentation' purposes but, also keep in mind if it hits anything that fluoresces it'd be pretty bright. Also that whole photopic/scotopic deal, the dimness depends on context.

I have some 405nm 5mW pointers I've given to co-workers as gifts and stuff. It's actually not as bad as you think. Not great for actual 'presentation' purposes but, also keep in mind if it hits anything that fluoresces it'd be pretty bright. Also that whole photopic/scotopic deal, the dimness depends on context.

Alright, thanks aryntha! I also think I may be the only person that dosen't like their lasers "over-spec" :wtf:

Heh, I don't like this one being overspec. No IR filter, it's kinda a mess.

I actually got it to get someone a 'matching set' of 660/532/405 pointers. I couldn't give that one to them because I don't want them winging around 86mW of green and who knows how much of IR.

Overspec is good on wavelengths that are hard to get more than a trickle out of. I rather like my 58mW 594 DPSS.

Last edited:
And also,

This is going to be slightly off-topic but I must ask.

It seems LG only offers 447nm and not the more common 445nm wavelength. Is this because 445nm isn't available in low-powers?

Thank you.

As far as I know, I think they are one and the same type of diode. I could be wrong though, I don't know too much about these diodes

As far as I know, I think they are one and the same type of diode. I could be wrong though, I don't know too much about these diodes

Alright, thank you hwang. As you can see I still have much to learn :whistle:

I may also be wrong but was wondering, is 635nm the closest you can get to "orange" in pointers?

Thanks!