Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405 help

I am trying to build a 405nm laser. Here is what I have.

Coleman MAX host / heatsink from Mohrenberg
AW 17500 li-ion Battery
405 G-1 lens
Microboost drive set to 550ma
BDR S06J diode

After waiting for the diode to arrive I assembled everything today and to my surprise no beautiful violet beam was emitted from the laser. Nothing came out no flickers or something that would lead me to believe the diode was fried. I know everything is wired correctly and I don't think I burned out the diode when soldering on the leads because I took extreme caution only to apply just enough heat. The microboost was set up for me by Flaminpyro and I trust that it was done correctly. I can't verify this because I don't have any of the equipment to do so. I don't know what I can do myself to fix it and I don't really know what the problem is. I would like to ship all the components to someone more experienced and possibly have them do the troubleshooting if anyone has the spare time.

Thanks for reading.

The first thing I would check is your conncetions to and from the battery

That was my first thought. So I went through the connections and made sure everything looked all right. Maybe the clicky switch it broken? Not sure what else it would be. But I don't know if I want to open the switch up for fear of breaking something.

There is a mulitude of things than can happen, the trick is eliminating them all one by one. It could be the switch, but if the kit (flashlight) is brand new, with no use I wouldn't think it would be the switch (still could be). A list of things I would check is:

-Points of contact (is everything touching that is suppose to)
-battery (charged to capacity, not dead or below operating voltage, Put in the host so the polarities are correct for your build)
-wired correctly(assumeing it is with your previous statements)

Make sure you check your solder joints as well. I've had some situations where the joints break loose.

Maybe you should try a new host I did basically the same thing as you except with a cree c6 aurora flashlight with a 405nm laser diode from ps3 and work perfectly cree c6 flashlights are also a popular host so you might get more help with it good luck man

Any luck with T/S your 405 howett?

I have been at work but will update you tomorrow once I have the chance to look everything over again. Thanks for the help though

Well I tried different batteries and nothing. I rechecked solder joints and it looks good. After doing some more looking around on the forum I think it could be the wiring but I am not positive. This host is case negative, do I have to solder to the case pin or can the battery negative go directly to the host?

Kevlar

Did you discharge the cap on the driver before connecting it to the LD?

Did you discharge the cap on the driver before connecting it to the LD?

i suppose that could be the issue since I don't exactly know what you mean?
If this is what i did How would I test the diode?

Discharging the cap is simple. You just touch both pins together. When you do this it lets out any voltage that might be inside the cap. If there was anything in the cap when you hooked your diode up then it would have all discharged into your diode killing it.

You just touch both pins together.

So I should just connect the Diode + and - on the driver?

I suppose this is probably what happened... Sorry little diode...

Before you connect your diode you discharge the cap. You can just connect the - and + to each other on the diode end. That in return discharges the caps. Then you can connect your diode. Its possible your diode isn't dead but if it is that is most likely the cause. I would still double check your connections and connect your driver to a test load if you have one. There may still be hope :)

Many people have had trouble with the MicroBoost.
The problem is usually that it is not connected properly so the laser gets no power.

If it is case negative, you will need to solder the (-) driver input to the case pin so that the battery (-) can flow through the case to the driver.