Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405-G-1 & 650-G-1 lens questions...

Concerning the 405 and 650 high efficiency lenses like Jayrob sells...

What is the overall length of those lens nuts/assemblies? I assume they are full-threaded?

Also, what is the typical length of threaded nut sticking out of the front of an aixiz module when focused?

I'm tring to plan for future builds and may staret using some of the nicer optics instead aixiz acryllic & aixiz broadband glass.

Kevlar

What is the overall length of those lens nuts/assemblies? I assume they are full-threaded?

They are the same sized as the AixiZ lens assemblies. I believe jayrob dissembles an AixiZ one and puts the G-1 glass in it.

Also, what is the typical length of threaded nut sticking out of the front of an aixiz module when focused?

Not sure, I sold my G-1 glass. Maybe someone else that has one can take a measurement for you. :beer:

jayrob

I'm tring to plan for future builds and may staret using some of the nicer optics instead aixiz acryllic & aixiz broadband glass.

Yes correct! I mount the lenses into a brass AixiZ lens nut as Kevlar stated...

About the distance that each lens sticks out the front of the module at focus. This will vary a little between different lenses. For instance, the AixiZ 445 lens sticks out farther than the 405-G-1 or 650-G-1. But if you want to have your focus ring (or EzFocus adapter) more flush with the face of the host/or heatsink, then you can adjust the module position inside the heatsink for 'fine tuning'... (unless you are not using a module)

The other thing that will affect the distance that the lens is sticking out, is the way that you pressed your diode. Some people press the diode past the 'flush' point. In this case, the lens will stick out a little farther.

I mount the lenses with the assumption that the diode is pressed flush. Because many people press flush. And if I mounted them the other way, then some people would not be able to get focus with a focus ring installed...

A little history on the pressing of the diode...

The reason people talk about pressing past the flush point, is that long ago with PHR builds, you couldn't focus using an AixiZ acrylic lens with the AixiZ focus ring installed unless the diode was pressed past the flush point. There were also some focusing issues with Meredith modules.

And then people were saying that the diode has more contact to the module if pressed past flush, etc...

But there is nothing wrong with pressing flush. There is plenty of contact. The entire outer circumference of the diode case is in contact with the module.

And the focusing issue is non-existent with an AixiZ 445 lens, 405-G-1, or 650-G-1....

Last edited:
Good info and history Jayrob! I see there are more variables here. I'm trying to source some host(s) and I like to plan 100% before buying anything. I have some pointers that use aixiz 445 glass and of course I've got some acrylic lenses... I've just never experienced a jayrob 405/650-g-1 lens.

So, in your opinion, what is a typical length of lens-nut thread exposed from the front of a module with diode pressed flush? For example, my aixiz glass lenses protrude about .139" from the front of an aixiz module.

jayrob

Couple of things...

All of my personal builds have the module position adjusted into the heatsink to minimize the gap between the focus adapter and the host/or heatsink.

So I don't want to really take them apart to get those exact measurements for you...

But let me say that you must have some 'gap' there. (between the focus ring/adapter, and the heatsink or front of the host)

A small gap is needed in case your outside and want to try to focus for a longer distance than normal. (my definition of 'normal', is best visual dot at about 40')

The other thing is, I thread the depth of EzFocus adapters that I make, at different depths. Depending on what lens you will be using for the EzFocus adapter. (this helps compensate for the extra lens threads sticking out the front of the module) See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...b-ezfocus-adapter-aixiz-445-lenses-51727.html

Last edited: