Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4 Ebay 303 vs 301 green lasers LPM test and IR leak

So today i received 4 ebay 303 green lasers that were $5.99 each if you bought 2 or more. I figured what the hell. I have a 301 laser that iv had foe 2 years and its still peaking around 96mw but only on the first lpm test. once its warmed up it will peak in the 80s.

anyway i took all 4 303 lasers and compared them to my 301 and 3 of them were just as bright as the 301 so i figured these were 80+ mw:D but then i lpmed then and i was:cryyy:They all measured from 20-55 mw and no more.
so how can a 55 mw laser be just as bright as a 80+ mw laser.

infrared leak !!! so i took my laser goggles and blocked the beam of the laser that hit the lpm. sure enough the first time i did this with the 301 laser i got 23mw of IR. no green was hitting the sensor. then i did the same with all 4 303 lasers and i got no IR leak at all :D so my 80mw 301 laser is more like 55-65 which explains why the beams and dot look the same in terms of brightness.

all my lpm graphs peak output for all the tests are a bit low because i really ran them hard before because i had a hell of a time setting up my lpm graphing on my new laptop. so they were a bit warm and actually laser #1 broke. the black plastic piece that holds the circuit board in place fell out and the button bent the floating board down and it hit the side of the laser and i guess shorted it. it did 50mw when i opened package and now it does 4mw.
good news the others are still going strong after many 2 minute runs.

Here are the lpm graphs. half way through the Graph i put the laser goggles in from of the beam so only IR could get through.
Not sure if this test is 100% accurate but if it is then these 303 lasers have no IR leak which is nice to see. I see no IR filter in any of the lasers

Capture 4 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
ebay 303 #1 2015-12-13 21.05.43 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Capture by Alex Littig, on Flickr
capture 2 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Capture 3 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151213_225137 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151213_225936 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

Last edited:

infrared leak !!! so i took my laser googles and blocked the beam

laser googles :crackup:

Search engine lasers aside, I actually found this very interesting. And good for you for conducting this test! It looks very well done.

Smart move to use the glasses to filter out the 532nm from the IR, also goes to show that whatever glasses you were using don't protect from IR, keep that in mind and be careful.

Nice test results and very neat! :D

-Sean