Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.5a driver?

I'm planning on building NUBM07E 465nm 5 watt found here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/nubm07e-465nm-laser-diode

This diode requires a driver of roughly 4.5amps to achieve 5 watts and 470nm. In planning on using an s4 or c6 host found on survival laser. The problem is I can not find any round drivers that would fit into the driver pill that comes with the host that are at 4.5amps.

Any help would be appreciated!

look for flaminpyro. since he have lot's of these or ask Garoq as he own survival laser.
or order the host bundle from the site as it will likely have every component except the laser module.

Hi,
Ok The two hosts you mentioned are to small for heat dissipation at 5W's to play it safe.Now if i were to build NUBMO7E@ 5W's i would get the SX4 host from Survival Lasers . With that host you won't need a round driver.You will be able to use a complete DTR module with diode and driver, And just use a round 16.8mm contact board found on the SL site. The only thing is you will have to upgrade the heat sink to the extended tapered copper one. That would make the build easier and faster. I have the SX4 host and thats what i do..

Rich:)

The smallest round driver that can do 4.5A I think is 20mm, I don't think there are any that are 16.8mm, you would need a rectangular driver and contact board. Such a small host will give you a duty cycle of less than 10 seconds for sure, that combined with overdriving the diode that much will no doubt result in a short lifespan for the diode.

Alan

Thanks for the useful info guys. I wasnt sure if it would overheat but now I know! I will do what you said and just get the s4x host. I feel like a total noob right now but what is a contact board? I only made one laser so far and never used a contact board.

Thanks for the useful info guys. I wasnt sure if it would overheat but now I know! I will do what you said and just get the s4x host. I feel like a total noob right now but what is a contact board? I only made one laser so far and never used a contact board.

Nvm so the contact board is just so that the non round driver is able to make contact with the batteries as I understand.
Is that correct?

Hi,
Ok now you have the info one thing more , If the cells are to short to make contact by any chance just solder a small spring to the battery contact board to make up the difference. You may or mat not have to do that but i threw that in the mix just in case

Hi,
Ok now you have the info one thing more , If the cells are to short to make contact by any chance just solder a small spring to the battery contact board to make up the difference. You may or mat not have to do that but i threw that in the mix just in case

Thanks!

Hi,
A 5A SXD driver will give you close to 6.7 or 7W's of power. I'm running mine at 5A's with the SX4 host you won't need a round driver. You will need a 6.8mm contact board and brass ring for neg- contact . The SX4 has an option pill with a driver shelf for heat sinking the driver to the host body. DTR has the diode in a all Copper module already wired with a heavier gauge wire.his is the host you need for all this power for this diode.It will take 2-18650 cells. Survival Lasers has a tutorial on this build step by step. This will be one bad ass laser when you finish it. Good luck and have fun and be safe..

Hi,
A 5A SXD driver will give you close to 6.7 or 7W's of power. I'm running mine at 5A's with the SX4 host you won't need a round driver.

Lifetime that is not correct, You are not talking about the NUBM07E. It is only capable of just over 5W, DTR's testing peaked at 5.084W at 4.6A, above 4.6A it dropped in power, driving it even at 4.5A could reduce the life of the diode, the data sheet says a max of 3.5A, it is supposed to be a 2.9W diode but is capable of 5W when overdriven but it can't reach 6.7-7W. You are thinking of the NUBM44 diode. Some new person could read your post and think it's ok to drive a NUBM07E at 5A.

Alan

Garoq

I agree Alan, it would probably be better to drive the NUBM07E at no more than 4A.

Hi Allen,
Yes you are correct i was thinking about the M44/450nm diode @ 5A for 6.5 to 7 mW's.
My NUBMO7E is set to 5A's and hits well over 5mW's sorry for the mix up been a long day at work.Right before my posting i was looking at 4 or 5 diodes i'm going to purchase and all were the high power diodes. Thank you for clarifying this issue don't want others to get the wrong impression about a build. Had a brain fart LOL..