Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4/17 pics - the Mask again!

I decided to try to photograph my mask I got in Mexico a few years ago. Back then I photographed it and got some really good pics using it with lasers. .I have used it in some shots over the past few years but haven't shot it in detail again, so I decided to try it again. I started with three 532nm's and three 520nm's. Then I started to add more lasers to the mix, two 638nm's for the eyes, a 473nm into the mouth bouncing back off a mirror behind, and then 445's and 405's bouncing off a few mirrors, and 589's into prisms directing the beams upwards. Eventually I added a few diffractions gratings and here are the results. I think the ones where it is just green, red and 473 blue are the best ones. Enjoy

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Fantastic work Bruce!
If the ancient natives had seen light like that coming from that mask, you'd be a God; or..... maybe just sacrificed to a volcano! :crackup:
Gotta love those 638nm eyes.

Last edited:
Awesome pics per usual. I don't know if I could have the patients to line up that many lasers. But my A.D.D. sees the next shiny thing and then I move on sadly.
Great work!!

Your pics never cease to amaze as always!

How can you afford all of those lasers? I'm 532 with envy!

Thank you for the comments!

Bowtieguy - when I first saw this mask (and others like it in Mexico) my first thought was red laser beams out of the eyes, which I did when I got it and then in this batch. It does look pretty cool.

10fenny - forget the ADD, when my OCD kicks in I get very detailed in what I am trying to accomplish. Even though I photograph on Friday nights, I set up mostly everything on Thursday, including lining up all of the lasers exactly how I want them. Once I have them in perfect alignment for what I am trying to do, I will mark off the spot on the table where the stands are and bring the lasers indoors since it is still to cold to leave them in the garage overnight. Then on Friday I will bring back the in the stands with the lasers still attached and put them exactly in the same spot on the table and they are perfectly aligned with the mirrors and optics. I will them hang up my curtains and get out the fog machine and I am ready to go. I have gotten pretty good and efficient at setting up in minimal time. But like anything else, the more time, effort, and planning you put into something, the better the results.

H2Oxide - Now that my son is out of college and married a few years now, I do have a bit of extra income to screw around with. There are many people on this forum with much more extensive collections than me. I would have liked to get into gas lasers or labbies, but that will never happen as since I do not have the money to start from scratch. It has taken me 3 years to build up my collection and I have pretty much all of the lasers I have wanted. Yesterday I got one of my last lasers on my wish list as I was lucky enough to get janders CNI 593.5 30mw PGL. I fired it up last night and it is an amazing laser with a bright beam. I have a 6mw Rigel 593.5 and there is no comparison between the two. It is bright enough to be used with all of my other lasers so this Friday night I will attempt to make a rainbow consisting of a 650, 638, 593.5, 589, 532, 520, 473, 460, and a 405. Hopefully I will be able to see the subtle color differences between the similar colors and get some nice shots

Pman

Really nice pics with good alignment (as if I would expect anything but that). Looking through your list of units you've obviously collected a lot of doubles close in output to support your passion for photography and we get to be the beneficiaries. +REP of course. I wonder if you have the highest REP to post ratio.
Can't remember if I asked you yet about whether you've ever had a unit fail in some way especially as most of what is listed are well built units from reputable places.

Last edited:

Podo

Never get tired to watch your work!

Nice shots indeed!

Hey Pman,
I have had some lasers die on my in the past years, a Dragon Lasers 200mw 447 Aurora (my first real laser), a Laserbtb HL405 500mw (but they did replace it with paying only the shipping), and I think a cheap 532 pen. But I know I have been lucky in that regard. I like to have two of each so I can two identical set ups and do mirror image stuff before it actually hits the mirrors :yh:. Having two identical set ups gives my the options to have as much geometry in my shots, which is how I like to photograph the lasers as you can see in most of my pics posted on the forum.

gozert

Photo's looking good again! Have you thought about doing some daylight/outside photo's anytime soon?

Hey Gozert,
As far as using lasers outdoors, that will not happen as it is too dangerous with someone seeing them and calling the police. I live in between NYC and Philadelphia, and my house is in the lanes airplanes use to land at Newark Airport. If you mean shooting "normal" outdoor stuff, I do that all the time. I was in NYC yesterday photographing.

gozert

Hey Gozert,
As far as using lasers outdoors, that will not happen as it is too dangerous with someone seeing them and calling the police. I live in between NYC and Philadelphia, and my house is in the lanes airplanes use to land at Newark Airport. If you mean shooting "normal" outdoor stuff, I do that all the time. I was in NYC yesterday photographing.

I meant photographing lasers. I can imagine it being hard to make photo's outside when you're pretty much next to an airport. You could however do some indoor shooting in daylight when you feel like doing so.