Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

3D image in midair at last !? Adding 3rd dimension to laser scanner !

DrSid

Sorry if it's being re-posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNoOiXkXmYQ

Looks pretty basic so far, but pretty legit. Colors could be impossible to achieve, but it's a start ..

rhd

What kind of power is needed.... and how can we reproduce this?

Svenvbins

Very cool indeed. I'm sure I've seen the same tech (different video, but same shapes & technology, probably the same people too) quite some time ago - if not years ago. I wonder what they have changed, because tbh I don't see much different with what I saw back then.

As for power, I know another group at my uni did some plasma/laser stuff too and I think it was around 10W CW (and then doing pulsed, of course), but I might as well be completely off.
I do wonder how they change the Z-location of the image. X&Y are done with the scanners, but you'd have to shift your focus along the beam. That, and you'd want a very sharp focus which seems quite difficult to achieve over 2 m.

Interesting, interesting!

Last edited:

blasterman

I can see this being really cool for high end concerts or theaters. Multiple projectors could create a very large and randomized starfield above the stage that would be pretty amazing.

Also looks like a pretty good ozone generator, which could be good and bad.

DrSid

What kind of power is needed.... and how can we reproduce this?
They vaguely mention 'kilowatt IR laser'.

What I find nice is how precisely they can control the focus point. I would expect this to use several beams, which would intersect in one spot. But this seems to be single beam. You don't need to precisely align individual beams like this.
I guess it uses large aperture, so the focused part of the beam is very short. This would also make beam width at focus point smaller. Ionization requires quite a power density. Also I thought you usually use UV lasers for that. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Shadowsix

Very cool! Definitly will lead to open air planetarium type shows amongst many other possibilities!

:drool:

Atomicrox

Pretty nice. Seems similar to air ionizing with SSY1 lasers.
I wonder how safe it is...