Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

365nm UV flashlight danger ?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I ordered that same UV from Gearbest a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. They're selling them for a pretty decent price for a 3W 365nm light.
Let us know how you like it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

365 Is more dangerous than visible light but not extreme. Treat it like A Super bright white and you should be fine. Just as a note AFAIK at 365nm The light will be absorbed By the cornea.
If you are worried polycarbonate safety glasses will block 365nm. see this post
Also those Lights have the Chinese leds in them so Expect 50mW or so optical output.
:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
That sound great i might have to get one. 365nm/3W hey if it's a bomb you can always use the host ... for a single mode green 520nm diode..

Rich:)

D

Deleted member 16589

Hi,
That sound great i might have to get one. 365nm/3W hey if it's a bomb you can always use the host ... for a single mode green 520nm diode..

Rich:)

Or drop a better LED in it :whistle:

Benm

I suppose the danger is that the light appears to be very dim while it carries quite a bit of power. Standard polycarbonate safety glasses (the kind designed to protect from mechanical impact) would be a good precaution.

Also don't point it at your skin from close range. I'm not sure what the spectral width on these leds is extactly, but if you feel the heat that usually isn't a good thing.

Ok guys, this looks fascinating but what would you use it for?
Sorry for the noob question, just curious.
Also I've noticed that the polycarbonate safety glasses change the 405nm laser 'colour' from violet to a blue so I assume they do the same with this UV source, making it a bit safer, is that right?

RB

These UV flashlights are used to cure resins that are UV curable. An 8 watt 365nm LED has 12mW/cm^2 at 15 inches. A three watt is probably not powerful enough to cure anything unless it is a small amount and at a cm away from the product. I wouldn't consider these as dangerous.

Edit: that being said, I wouldn't put it up to my eye and look into it.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for answers, but i still wonder how dangerous this wavelength is to the human eye, can u get like permanent eye damage if u would shine in the eyes ?

It would be cool if it has some throw, see what fluoresces in the woods, and as Lifetime said, the host looks nice for a pocket build.

Been there once with my 40W 365nm Led , Eyes hurt for nearly a day : p

Never did it again .

your cornea absorb the uv

at 365nm The light will be absorbed By the cornea.

owl-facepalm.gif

Seriously, guys? At least do a google search before dispensing critical SAFETY INFORMATION. -4 next time.

c3pp25408a-f1.gif

diachi

Seriously, guys? At least do a google search before dispensing critical SAFETY INFORMATION. -4 next time.

c3pp25408a-f1.gif

Thanks for posting the graph Cyp! :)

Surprised transmittance goes down that much with age. I guess that's why life seems a little darker every year. :eek:

Also, the power decreases as the square of the distance away from the light source.

D

Deleted member 16589

owl-facepalm.gif

c3pp25408a-f1.gif

OK So First off I got my information from a wile back when I built my UV light but I guess my source was bad.
However if you had done your research you would Found my error in that it is not your cornea but the lens of your eye that would absorb 365nm.

And since you are so inclined on research let me cite myself this time.

EyePenetrating.gif

Near Ultraviolet Wavelengths (UVA) 315 - 400 nm

Most of the radiation is absorbed in the lens of the eye.
The effects are delayed and do not occur for many years (e.g.; cataracts).

Laser Biological Hazards-Eyes | Environmental Health and Safety | Oregon State University

Last edited by a moderator: