Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$32 laser scanner- legit?

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while, but only registered an account today.
I'm building a multi-laser based projector for a research project. Right now we're planning on using 8-10 lasers, each with their own galvo scanning system. We've already picked the laser diode to use, and we've ordered one for testing purposes, and now we're trying to find lower-cost scanners.

So far, this one is the cheapest I can find:
AL-15K - $32.00 : Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com, Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com

Most scanners are super expensive though. Like, the DT40 scanners are almost 20x that of this model.

Does anyone have any experience working with this company, or with this scanner specifically? OR, does anyone have any better, cheap laser scanners that they can recommend?

Cheap is the key here. As I mentioned, we are going to need 8 of these minimum. Accuracy is important too, but speed and scan angle not so much. This is an initial prototype, and is built more for a proof of concept than an actual product.

Thanks in advance for any advice, guys!

Make sure to start a thread in the "Welcome" Forum. We would like to get to know you better. Then the members will be more inclined to help you with any questions that you have.

ARG

Yup, it's real. I've bought from them before. Their cheaper products have questionable quality, those scanners are probably around 8k.

Well spank my armpit and call me Gertrude, that's still a glorious deal for something that's not stepper motors. 8k will still get you a decent beam show. I just bought a set; I'll compile a short review.

"Winnie"at Golden has a good rep.
But I would go for the similar priced 10K from CantonLaserphoto-has db25 breakout-dips/mic/etc

does 32$ include show board- db25 cable ??
BRB with a link

hak b bak

Not sure what you get for 32$- may have less parts than
the 10K from CLP and goes for $50,, see the test patterns- needed NO tuning when delivered..

pics
http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/diy-projector-working-78372.html

Last edited:

csshih

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 25k version and the 15k? They physically looks the same in the pictures and their descriptions are the same...

AL-15K - $32.00 : Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com, Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com

AL-25K - $60.00 : Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com, Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com

Also what would be a decent yet cheap DAC to use with this?

pretty sure someone was just lazy with listings :)

how cheap are you looking for? You could always just go for a soundcard DAC. Further up the scale would probably be the Riya DACs.

pretty sure someone was just lazy with listings :)

how cheap are you looking for? You could always just go for a soundcard DAC. Further up the scale would probably be the Riya DACs.

Well I mean... If I'm only going to drop potentially <$50 on galvos I would consider this as a budget project. This unit I have decided is going to be a beam show only device.

By decent I mean something I won't have to dick around with to get working... yet cheap enough to be used in a budget project.

I wouldnt go by pictures on that site, they are REAL screwed up over there.
Matter of fact you cannot go by what you even read over there, they had what looked to be a nice red module and power supply and it even said it had analog modulation, for $12 and $4 shipping???
So I posted a thread at PL about this and a few people bought one and what they got was not what we seen. I PM'd winni to go check out my thread and she went there and quickly took the item off the website, she said they had mistakenly put up pictures of a CNI system.

Take notice of the company logo image :D

They waited three weeks, then sent me an email telling me their shipping price was wrong and was actually ~$30 for air freight, not $4. They asked me if I wanted a refund, or to pay the full price. I asked them to re-run the invoice with whatever was the cheapest shipping option. They waited another week, then gave me a refund instead. :undecided:

CONTACT Jason at CLP- or get onboard with me GB for decent quality scanner sets complete. show card-amps-mounted engines- all the wires you will need-they come with the dip switches and mic for sound response- there are built-in images and simple animations on the show card
--
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/feeler-possible-gb-nice-but-affordable-scansets-82482.html

I am confident we can match that price for you IF you are buying that many.

If you come aboard we will have enough sold to move fwd with this GB VERY soon- I have another buyer interest and 10 or more sets of mixed speed so that means this can happen soon.. It HAS been a while since I got quotes and therefore I am not going to offer any prices NOW- but they will be attractive and for your application you may be just fine with 8 or 10kpps scanners-

GOING NOW to contact CLP and wil post what I learn here... hak

-We got three-15-25 &35K all arrived undamaged..(you NEVER want the seller to scrimp on shipping or packing as the mirrors on most scanners fall off with a harsh look or trying to squeeze out more KPPS than spec- gluing on a new mirrors is only hard if you have never done it. BUT expect the need to re-tune the galvos-

CLP only asks $1usd per mirror and its a mistake to not order spares when you get the set ordered. Jason has great english skillz and above the normal customer support and even took extra pics to send that made my first build an easy project..if I move fwd with this GB I will first need at least 7 or 8 more buyers- and the plan it to have my bank transfer all our funds and thus saving each buyer a separate bank transfer fee and this also saves CLP separate fees that they must pay their bank- so all these savings get passed on to us.

I will give all a close visual inspection( but will not be powering them up) then very carefully pack and reship to each buyer that cost will be determined by the number of sets and your location-- I am not too keen about shipping these outside the CONUS or Canada--I am still somewaht new to the use of scanners and ATM have not used my DIY with the 15Ks long enough to say how long these hold up=BUT AFAIK the owner/maker of DTs at first worked for CLP and left taking the CLP design with him to use for DTs-are DTs better??? they should be as they cost much more and DT is a PITA to deal with.. I am fairly certain that these will be better quality thn PT.

PM if you have questions---hak:wave:

Last edited: