Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

30mw vs 50mw daytime pointing

I would like to purchase a laser pointer for stargazing but also for daytime pointing at small cryptic things such as butterflies, frogs, birds etc. hidden in trees or in vegetation. I require that others who I am with can see the dot in day light and easily spot the object I am pointing to. As this would be in day light and sunshine, I would like to know whether the jump from 30 to 50 mw would make a difference or if I should go with the cheaper 30 mw. it's not much cheaper but it also comes with some cool heads to screw on and get fun illuminations. both are from O-like. Any recommendations??

Be wary of laser safety, don't point the laser in any living thing's eyes. I would suggest 30mW for far pointing and 50mW for a visible beam in lit rooms, really far pointing, and balloon popping. O-like is a very reliable website. They test their lasers. So if you ordered a 50mW, it's going to be either 50mW exact or over. You choose which one you want i can't make your decision, but I can say I do recommend the pocket 50mW o-like has.

Last edited:

oic0

Youll most likely end up blinding some frogs, birds, and butterflys :(
Mine are around 30mw, not bright in daylight, but still not safe to shine in living creatures. One of the ones designed for pet play would be the safest bet as they will be in the definite eye safe range (for fear of lawsuit). If you dance the dot around it can become pretty noticeable, just ask mr fluffy.

I can sell you a green one if you are interested. One is 19mw, and the other about 36mw

27738d1277953432t-sold-cheap-lasers-sale-red-green-blu-ray-4-lasers-80-shipped-img_0252.jpg

Be wary of laser safety, don't point the laser in any living thing's eyes. I would suggest 30mW for far pointing and 50mW for a visible beam in lit rooms, really far pointing, and balloon popping. O-like is a very reliable website. They test their lasers. So if you ordered a 50mW, it's going to be either 50mW exact or over. You choose which one you want i can't make your decision, but I can say I do recommend the pocket 50mW o-like has.

50 mW can't pop balloons.

AUSBEN

depends. My 50mw can pop baloons. and its solid 50. Depends about the battery to.

50 mW can't pop balloons.
Oh yes it can. Buy a 50mW module from ebay. It pops balloons instantly. Also styropyro says 50mW can pop balloons with ease. also just like AUSBEN said it depends. I use 2 AAA batteries and it pops balloons instantly.

AUSBEN

just tested my laser. I brought i cheap 5 Dollar 3V CR123A Battery. Wouldnt pop a balloon. Brought 3V $14 Popped a balloon. Also the $14 Battery reached up to 3.80 and the $5 2.8 so again you get what you paid for. A cheap no good battery.

Razako

I would like to purchase a laser pointer for stargazing but also for daytime pointing at small cryptic things such as butterflies, frogs, birds etc. hidden in trees or in vegetation. I require that others who I am with can see the dot in day light and easily spot the object I am pointing to. As this would be in day light and sunshine, I would like to know whether the jump from 30 to 50 mw would make a difference or if I should go with the cheaper 30 mw. it's not much cheaper but it also comes with some cool heads to screw on and get fun illuminations. both are from O-like. Any recommendations??
I'd go with the 30mw. At night it will produce a decent beam and the spot will be easily visible during the day time. Just make sure you point around the target creatures and not at them. Don't wanna blind the poor things.