Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

30mW Green module from eBay seller techhood

Note: My camera is experiencing issues, hence the lack of detailed photos. The existing photos are already terribad as-is.

obl.jpg

Specifications (seller supplied):

Price: USD $9 (+USD $7 shipping)

Wavelength 532nm
Power output 30mW with 5% tolerance
Working Current <350mA at 3.0V input
Electronical Pole Copper burl to"+" and Spring for "-"
Working Temperature +10dgC-+40dgC
Storage Temperature +10dgC-+50dgC
Duty Circle 60 seconds on and 5 secons off
Lifepan (under normal operation) >3500hours
Size 12mmx60mm

Seller notes:

1.Standard DIY acessories for pen style Laser Pointer.

2.Glasses lens neat laser dot and visible laser beam.

Background:

I got another green module from techhood after my first 50mW died. I decided to try a different style of module, in the hope that it'd be more stable than my last (which had constant power and mode issues).

Shipping:

Shipping from Hong Kong was extremely fast. The module reached Australia, intact in it's own antistatic bag, only 14 days after payment being sent.

The seller had sent both 'payment received' and 'item sent' emails. The item was sent within two working days of receiving payment.

First impressions:

'Tis heavy. :D The connections between the driver board were also potted in some sort of adhesive.

The module also came with two wires, as stated in the listing. Unlike the seller's specifications stated, the module did not come with a spring, however, there is a solder point for a spring if you wish to attach a spring.

In use:

First things first- when the description says 3V, it doesn't lie. I run this laser off a CR2, and it works fine. I have tried to run it from an 18650, but that results in the laser starting and staying in TEM01, with no increase in visible power output.

Nine out of ten times the module starts in TEM01, but as the internals heat up the laser drops into a perfect Gaussian TEM00. The warm-up takes less than 15 seconds.

CIMG4891.JPG

Beam profile expanded using a lens onto a sheet of paper 50cm away

The seller rates the module for a duty cycle of 60 seconds on/5 seconds off, and true to their rating, after 60 seconds the brass casing at the driver end becomes warm to the touch. Although the duty cycle could be extended by adding a heatsink, I have not been able to determine whether there is adequate internal heatsinking for the crystal set.

CIMG4892.JPG

Unexpanded beam on a sheet of paper at 50cm.

This laser does not come with an IR filter, and although there is IR present, it is not very tightly collimated and I suspect there is less than 10mW of it.

CIMG4893.JPG

Unexpanded beam on a sheet of paper at 50cm through goggles. It is possible to see the IR leakage, and the perfect TEM00 dot.

The beam profile of the IR is less-than perfect. Having said that, though, I didn't expect too much from those few photons who managed to break free from the confines of the HR and the OC. This stray IR is easily removed using an IR filter, available for under $15.

CIMG4895.JPG

Unexpanded beam on a sheet of paper at 50cm with green filtered out.

Visibility:

Visibility is great for a 30mW. It has a solid beam at night, and the beam is faintly visible (depending on viewing angle) in a lit room, even during the day.

The spot is also very visible during the day. There's no problem with visibility even during a sunny day.

Indoors, however, you may want something with less power. The dot is uncomfortable to look at on a white surface, and at ranges of less than 50cm goggles are necessary.

Power:

I don't have an LPM, so I can't say for sure. Having said that it is of equal brightness to my old 50mW module, so either this module is overspec or the 50mW was underspec.

When focused, it smokes black leather, but can't light a match.

Judging by this I'd say it'd be definitely 30mW.

Beam specifications:

I've saved the best to last- the beam specs.

Speaking of beam specs, this thing has a beam that gives CNI pens a run for their money.

0.9mm beam diameter at aperture.
1mRad divergence as measured at 1m.

I measured it three times with two different rulers. There's no mistake here.

I suppose here's the point where you begin wondering why there aren't any photos or beamshots. My camera no longer focuses properly, and the white balance also has a fail.[sic]

It can no longer pick up the beams, so there's no point in taking photos anyway.

Conclusion:

Well, it certainly was a pleasant surprise. I certainly didn't expect such beam specs from a $16 cheap Chinese module.

They've certainly got my recommendation though- go out, buy some, and have some (safe) fun!

Price: 10/10
Shipping: 8/10
Performance: 10/10
Beam specs: 11/10!

Link: 532nm 30mW 12x60mm Laser Diode Module/Green Beam/Dot - eBay (item 260548243508 end time Nov-01-10 07:07:24 PDT)

Last edited:

UPDATE

I took some divergence measurements at 5m today, and came back as 1.02mRad.

For reference, the Nova X-Series pens have a 1mm beam diameter and <1.2mRad divergence.

In other words, this is slightly better.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any more interest.

I'll also try getting more photos later tonight, hopefully with better results than before.