Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

30mW 532nm Fasttech Module Build!

Gun

Hello Everyone,

So all the parts finally arrived for my first build. Not sure if it's really classified as "a build" or not, I connected a power supply to a module :p. I ordered the following parts:

- 30mW 532nm Laser Module
- 12mm Heatsink Mount
- 3V Power Supply
- Australian Power Plug Adapter
- and of course, safety goggles!

So basically I just sliced off the end of the power supply and stripped down the wires. I then put the module into the heatsink. Then I soldered the positive and negative wires to the ones coming from the module. Then plugged it in :D

Here it is!

I was quite amazed at how bright it is, seeing as it's my most powerful laser! The most powerful I'd seen before this was my 1mW pointer :crackup:

Pictured with my 3 pairs of goggles, better safe than sorry ;)

The above picture is my 1mW pointer, just to show the comparison.

^ and this is my 30mW.

Above is a video of the laser in action!

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, the only camera I have at the moment is my laptop webcam.

I think the laser is most likely over 30mW as the 50mW fasttech module is normally about 80mW, I'm going to assume that this 30mW is around 30-50mW, if it is infact as overspec as the 50mW module.

I'm also still looking for housing, I think I might buy some sort of plastic "hobby box".

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped me out in my "Build or Buy?" thread, especially Laik and awillis.

Cheers to my first laser over 1mW :beer:​

Last edited:

Gun

I just took it outside (It's night time), I'm amazed by the beam :D

Laik

Glad to see you like it and thanks for the shout out :) I told you that beam would amaze you ;)

Congrats on the build! Some other things that you can add are a switch, a project box, and an indicator LED. Your build looks a lot like my first DIY laser, which still runs to this day.

It's always good to start out with a build like this before attempting DIY handhelds or messing with any of the extremely dangerous class IV stuff.

Gun

Congrats on the build! Some other things that you can add are a switch, a project box, and an indicator LED. Your build looks a lot like my first DIY laser, which still runs to this day.

It's always good to start out with a build like this before attempting DIY handhelds or messing with any of the extremely dangerous class IV stuff.

Thanks styropyro :D

Yes I'm currently looking for a project box of some sort and I might add a switch as well. Yes my next build will most likely be a handheld or something a bit more powerful.

IsaacT

Adding a switch will be really nice that way you can have it plugged in and off. Nice build! Put it in a project box :p

Gun

Adding a switch will be really nice that way you can have it plugged in and off. Nice build! Put it in a project box :p

That would be good however at the moment I actually have to press a button on the module for it to turn on. If I were to put it in a project box then I wouldn't be able to touch the button, therefor it would be off. If I added a switch, that would fix that problem right?

IsaacT

Yeah, what you should do is solder a wire across the two pins on the side of the module's button switch to bypass it. Then put your switch in between the input wire from the module and the output wire from the power supply. Voila!

Alternatively, order one of Jayrob's pen hosts...just putting a green module in there should be easy enough and you wont have to bridge the push button on the driver.

Last edited:

Gun

Sounds good. I've got an Ebay 30mW Module on the way so I might end up putting that in a pen host.