Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

309mW "Peak" High Power Small Key Chain Red Laser Build.!!!

Hi All,

:eg:Short Review of My Little "309mW Peak" Key Chain Red Build.:eg:

So i will start off with the Host. I decided to turn my Green Key chain Laser that i got from focal Price that i reveiwed >>>HERE<<< Into a High Power Red Laser. The Green Laser was still working Just fine But I just Dint Like How Fast the Laser heated Up. So I took it apart and Put the Module that came inside for another project.:whistle:

It was very simple to take apart.:) The Head came Right Off with the Module Attached. The Hard part was how to create a driver that can run a LPC-815 at 430mA of 1x 10440 cell and to make everything fit inside the small Pen like Key chain.:p

Well Looking through my Part Bins i cam across some 3 terminal D Pak style Mosfets i think. I remember they had extremely low Dropout. The only problem is i dont know what the name of them are as i pulled them out of something else.:( But i New that they would be perfect for this application.:D

So i Had to come up with a way to make a Driver like board to hold everything on it including a click in about the Size of a Flexdrive v5 + 1/2.:eek: It was a tight fit but i got it in there.:na:

So then i had to figure out how i am going to fit the top half of the Aixiz Module in due to the Aixiz Module being way to big in diameter. So i figured let me see if my drill can fit the Aixiz Module in. Well lucky for me it fit perfectly. So i put the module in the drill but leaving the front half out enough for me to be able to grip it with some sand paper and make the module smaller in diameter. I had to sand about 2mm off for a nice and tight fit. It dint take long at all.:)

So i then proceeded to set the Driver to 430mA.:eg:. I might decide to turn it up some more because this laser is Kinda like Pulse mode because of the momentary switch and usually you can set the laser a little Higher but not much.:evil:

You would think that in such a small laser running at such high power it would get Hot pretty quickly. The Duty Cycle for this laser is ~1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. It start to get a little Warm to my Liking. But the cool thing about this is the laser Cools down Quickly so 1 minute on 1 minute off is good practice with this laser. Iam surprised how good this laser pulls the heat across the hole body. It must be the very tight fit of the module and the host that is transferring the heat pretty good.:beer:

Overall "308mW Peak"out of such a small build is pretty Impressive to say the least. Especial off of a cheap 10440 Cell. Iam going to invest on a better quality one.

I can only imagine what this would put out with Jayrobs 650-G-1 Lens. Probably close to 400mW.:eg:
Check it out:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...fication-fit-aixiz-25-increase-red-46332.html

Now for some Pictures:

DSC06213.jpg

Everything in the build.

DSC06212.jpg

Sanded the Module down and pressed the diode in. I had to bend the Pins Like in the Picture in order for them to be able to connect to the driver.

Unfortunately i though i took picture of the driver but i dint.:banghead: If i ever take the laser apart ill update the thread.;)

DSC06220.jpg

Push everything in and you done. This is a very simple Build and easy to make. There was only a few parts to put together and that is it. I would also like to mention that a LM1117 driver will work too but will limit you to ~180mW. You can also use an AMC7135 that works great too. But that also will give you round ~200mW.:)

DSC06224.jpg

DSC06226.jpg

DSC06229.jpg

DSC06232.jpg

DSC06235.jpg

DSC06192.jpg

DSC06191.jpg

DSC06189.jpg

DSC06186.jpg

DSC06185.jpg

DSC06155.jpg

My sad attempt of trying to Write LPF.:yabbem:

LPM Reading 309mW "Peak"

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Keep On Lazing...

Last edited:

JLSE

Love small builds, nice work! :beer:

Last edited:
Very nice build! Now i'm going to destroy my old green Laser From Focalprice! :)

Last edited:
Sweet little build.
I love the 10440 host's like that, not a long duty time, but feel cool in the hand.
:gj:

anselm

Wow, that is so great!:gj:
Please can I have some more details on the driver?
I've been trying to figure out a way to drive a red diode off a single LiIon....
I've got some LD1085 here now, but the voltage dropout is still significant.

LaZeRz

Lol Lazereer..... Your lasers are too good!

I like pretty much everything you make and i owe you a +1 :)

I wouldnt even attemp to make my own driver.....

Just wanted to thank all of you for the Kind Words. :thanks:

@wannaburn:
I too like small build but also like big build too. I cant decide between the too.:crackup:

@eytyxhs:
Please dont destroy your working green laser. Unless you have a future project for the module and are confident enough that you will not damage anything when taking it apart go right ahead. But hearing you say destroy makes me Unsure.;)

@532 with Envy:
Yea exactly. It feels nice in your hand and packs a punch. I was going to do a 445nm in this maybe in the future but i just think it will get way to hot at the currant i want to set it too.:eg:

Wow, that is so great!:gj:
Please can I have some more details on the driver?
I've been trying to figure out a way to drive a red diode off a single LiIon....
I've got some LD1085 here now, but the voltage dropout is still significant.

There is really not much more i can think of.:thinking: The driver is a simple DDL type driver. The schematics are the exact same set up as using a LM1117 but with a momentary button on the driver. The Chip/IC/Mosfet whatever you want to call it, i have no clue whats the Name of it. I pulled it out of an old Power supply from a stereo or something of that nature. I had to make my own board by just cutting out a strip off of a project board that you get at the shack. Most drivers out there that i know off that have momentary switches on them are all case positive drivers witch i could not use in this build.
I wish i had more information to give you.:( Hope that helps but i dont think so.:(

@LaZeRz:
THanks Iam happy to hear you like all my builds.

Showing closeup photos of a high powered laser doesn't convey how bright it really is. For all intents lasers at this range look fairly much the same. What I suggest is what is done over at Candlepower Forums. There people do comparison beam shots on a distant objects. For example: Malkoff shootout!! Wild Cat XPG vs. Hound Dog XPG vs. Hound Dog XML!!!!!!

:thinking: First off you cannot go by how bright you see a laser in a Pictures. You dont know the conditions of the air in the room if there is smoke/particles/dust etc that will make a laser appear more bright. As well as there is different computer monitors/ screens that very as well as cameras. Beam shots are just for looks as that is my favorite part. I will upload some more in alittle bit.:)

Did you not see my LPM test.:confused: This is the only way to know how powerful the laser truly is.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Btw lazereer do you know any similar mofsets that i can use to supply around 430ma with running of a single 22600 for a Hotlight ? I really would prefer that then two cr123a batts cause it holds double the ma :drool:

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Hey,

Thanks.:) I took a Couple puffs of my E Cig so iam not using much. This laser is Pretty Bright.:)

I have a 250mW 650nm(probably 660) "cutie" from O-like... and the beam is nothing by comparison, it's kind of hard to see even in the dark.

Maybe mine is underpowered, I have an LPM on the way from laserbee so will be able to test.. but yeah, that beam is amazing.

Please remember that comparing beams and Power through a camera is not a good method.

The reason is that some cameras might make a beam appear more bright then it really is. Also the Angle that you hold the laser. How much dust/Fog/Smoke etc in the air makes a difference.

There is too many different variable that can cause a beam to look more or less bright then it really is. So you cannot Judge power this way.:)

Just wait until you get your LPM. Then you will no for sure what your laser power is.:)

Last edited: