Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

300mW 'true' on Ebay

daguin

LikeitBright said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290262236625

Looks like it may actually be 300mW?  Anyone have one of these?

And monkeys might actually fly outta my butt.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=LikeitBright link=1222144860/0#0 date=1222144860]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290262236625

Looks like it may actually be 300mW?  Anyone have one of these?

And monkeys might actually fly outta my butt.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
yea dave only after the pigs fly ota mine

So I'm going to assume someone has examined this laser and that all the talk about testing laser power with a calibrated power meter etc is a scam/lie?

daguin

LikeitBright said:
So I'm going to assume someone has examined this laser and that all the talk about testing laser power with a calibrated power meter etc is a scam/lie?

No one has examined THAT laser, but we have seen and heard the stories over and over again. If you want to believe this, have a wonderful life. You posted this in a forum full of experienced knowledgeable people and then want to argue that the seller is more truthful than us. WE have nothing to gain by protecting you and others from wasting your money. The seller has everything to gain from duping you with fancy words. You get to decide who you believe.

Yes. Some sellers on eBay LIE. Some perpetrate SCAMS. This is obviously (to us) one of them.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=LikeitBright link=1222144860/0#4 date=1222149061]So I'm going to assume someone has examined this laser and that all the talk about testing laser power with a calibrated power meter etc is a scam/lie?

No one has examined THAT laser, but we have seen and heard the stories over and over again.  If you want to believe this, have a wonderful life.  You posted this in a forum full of experienced knowledgeable people and then want to argue that the seller is more truthful than us.  WE have nothing to gain by protecting you and others from wasting your money.  The seller has everything to gain from duping you with fancy words.  You get to decide who you believe.

Yes.  Some sellers on eBay LIE.  Some perpetrate SCAMS.  This is obviously (to us) one of them.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Your being overly confrontational Dave - reading something into my post that isn't there. You will need to read it in a literal fashion if you are to take away the correct meaning. I'm interested if someone has bought this model laser from this seller and found their claims false. Nothing more, nothing less. I've found what appears to be the exact same laser being resold elsewhere by a local and reputable trader who seems fine with me testing the laser output on my lab meter and then refunding my money if its not a true 300mW at 532nm.

No I think Dave is trying to save you from being scammed - Dave is one straight forward kind of guy
he gave some advice i'd say that you should take very serious -but hey why dont you buy it review it I think if you even asked Dave he would meter it for you we try to help each other out on this forum ok I'll shut up now :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

LikeitBright said:

There are just my two cent of experience.
In January of this year I bought from eBay what was declared a 100 mW green laser, at a very affordable price (75.00 Eur + 15.90 Ship = Total 90.90 Eur). I want to underline it was NOT this seller. When I received it, what I noticed of strange was the Warning label, declaring: POWER OUTPUT <100mW.
It was my first experience buying lasers, so everything was ok for me till I bought the LaserBee I LPM, and here annex are three pictures relevant to this laser and the real output power.

I don't want to underline that both case and host look identical to my laser, but what I can suggest you to notice now, is the Warning label picture inserted at the end of the description: in spite of the sentence "This laser pointer is guaranteed to be 300mW unmodified", the label shows clearly this declaration: POWER OUTPUT <300mW. :(

Up to you all final valuation/decision. ;)

Attachments

• P1010740a.jpg
    P1010740a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 106
Absolutely, I do not want to be scammed which is why this thread exists.  I'm aware of the enormous number of DPSS pointer lies/scams on Ebay, however this one looks somewhat legit.  I'm looking for someone who has actually purchased from this seller or who can say with a good deal of certainty they recognise the pointer as being 'brand A' from somewhere and is actually a cheap 20mW pointer with no IR filter etc.  Here is what I wrote to the seller.

Well I am interested but due to the number of laser related scams and outrageous laser power claims on Ebay with regards to DPSS pointers I have to be very careful. Your auction is legitimate looking as is the Thorlabs powermeter you have. I'm a laser physicist so I have a lab and the means to measure the laser power this pointer generates at 532nm only. If you are certain it produces 300mW and you can assure me that it does indeed generate 300mW then I will buy one. However I have to be blunt and say I will be wanting a refund and leaving negative feedback if it turns out to be a 20mW pointer etc.

I also posted a thread regarding the laser pointer you are selling on Laser Pointer Forum asking if anyone had bought from you. The replies are not encouraging though so far I have yet to hear from someone who actually has bought and tested a pointer from you. There are a lot of skeptics out there and rightly so. The thread link is below if you want to read it or make a comment/post.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1222144860

Hi.
These are low cost lasers dur to the low duty cycle, i understand that there are a lot of scams on ebay but this is not a scam, as these are genuine 300mw lasers, but as they heat up the power output can lower, as the duty cycle is very low, they can not be kept on for more than ten seconds or the diode will then overheat. I think you are looking for a 300mw laser which is from somewhere lkike wiked lasers which has a longer duty cycle, so therefore i suggest you but from them sas i dont think this laser is what you are looking for.
Regards
Shane

yea for that much cash I'd go for a Nova great company very stable my x-100 peaks at 126 averages 121 to me thats very nice average and being close to the peakl also means pretty stable it was 200.00 delivered ;D

Razako

1-You absolutely can't make a 300mw green POINTER with no heatsinking.
2-If they could make said laser you can be sure that it wouldn't be that cheap.
3-That IS a spymodex scam laser. Aka the classic scam laser that people have been posting about for years.
4-The most powerful pointers sold by nova and wicked only go up to 175-200mw max. There is a reason for this.
5-Do you really expect to get an amazing 300mw pointer for $248.38? Look at the prices of genuine 300mw units and tell me that something isn't wrong here. This ebayser is either the best deal on earth or a scam.
6-Shall I continue?

Ace82

Coherent said:
1-You absolutely can't make a 300mw green POINTER with no heatsinking.
2-If they could make said laser you can be sure that it wouldn't be that cheap.
3-That IS a spymodex scam laser.  Aka the classic scam laser that people have been posting about for years.
4-The most powerful pointers sold by nova and wicked only go up to 175-200mw max.  There is a reason for this.
5-Do you really expect to get an amazing 300mw pointer for $248.38?  Look at the prices of genuine 300mw units and tell me that something isn't wrong here.  This ebayser is either the best deal on earth or a scam.
6-Shall I continue?
7. My RPL has a 2.5W LD making 240mW
8. you will be lucky to get 30mW out of that laser
10. I wouldn't even spend $50 on that, I'd rather save for x-series from Nova.
11. NEVER BUY HIGH POWERED LASER POINTERS FROM EBAY.

I bought an Ebay laser (out of curiosity).  It was listed as a "True Green" 100 mW Laser.  I have tested it and it puts out about 55 mW's of green color.  I say color because I dont really know if it has an IR filter so it could be 30 mW's of green and the rest IR.  It does maintain its power though for over a minute before it begins to heat up and slowly drop to around 35 or so mW's.  Also it does pop balloons and is much stronger than my 30 mW Romisen from DX.  Fortunately, I won the bid for like $10.00 with another $15.00 dollar shipping charge.  So I was happy with the purchase :)  If you want a cheap green laser and are willing to take a chance...bid very low and shop around.  Most of the high power lasers on Ebay are either on the "Buy it Now" list or on the UK's Ebay site.  Good Luck!

Here is a link with more detail...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1221793787/18#18