Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

300mW laser diode - Safety goggles

Hello,

I'm new into lasers. And i impulsively ordered stuff to make a very tiny laser engraver. But since i didn't have much time i didn't do much research about lasers and just ordered a laser diode with following specs:
808±10nm 300mW laser Diode
Power Output : CW 300mW
Working Current(mA) : ≤400mA
Working Voltage(V) : 2.2V
Working Temperature ( ):10~40
Threshold Current (mA):≤120
Beam Divergence (deg): Θ// :17 . Θ⊥38 .

And was just reading some stuff about the safety, that even reflections could be dangerous. And i also saw that this laser diode is not emitting at any visible wavelenght.
So my questions are:
- Is it going to be visible?
- Second: I was wondering if those laser goggles would be safe enough:
190 450nm & 800 2000nm laser safety glasses/laser safety eyewear/laser safety goggle/ O.D 4+ CE certified-in Safety Goggles from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com
- Will it be strong enough to engrave (not cutting) any wood?

thanks in advance,

Samodezi

No, it won't really be visible. Sometimes you might see a very faint red dot, but usually at higher powers.
Even if you could just barely see it, remember most of it's energy is not seen.

That diode, according to the specks posted, definitely has the power for wood engraving. The only potential problem would be the divergence.

Those safety glass will work fine, if they are as advertised.

A better option is a 405nm diode. You can get a diode that outputs roughly the same, but be able to get it to a small point.

No, it won't really be visible. Sometimes you might see a very faint red dot, but usually at higher powers.
Even if you could just barely see it, remember most of it's energy is not seen.

That diode, according to the specks posted, definitely has the power for wood engraving. The only potential problem would be the divergence.

Those safety glass will work fine, if they are as advertised.

A better option is a 405nm diode. You can get a diode that outputs roughly the same, but be able to get it to a small point.

Thanks a lot for your information!
Well, for this diode of 808nm, i only paid 5dollar, i don't know if it will be right.
And a diode of 405nm is way more expensive as far as i can see.
But if i buy a good laser housing, with a focus-lens, i will be able to get it to a small point. The distance between the wood and the laser will only be a few cm. So i don't think it will get that wide.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Fiddy

No, its not safe, its more dangerous than visible lasers because you cant see where its pointing exactly and you cannot see reflections, you will get bored of it quickly, you will need IR laser glasses too.

No, its not safe, its more dangerous than visible lasers because you cant see where its pointing exactly and you cannot see reflections, you will get bored of it quickly, you will need IR laser glasses too.

I didn't buy this for fun, it's to engrave stuff. So i don't think i'll get bored
i've ordered some safety goggles form o-like: 405nm,445nm,808nm,1064nm safety goggles/200-450,740-2000nm [OLLS1064] - $45.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
I think they will be good enough for the laser diode i bought! Or am i completely wrong?

Thanks for your reply!

Samory

Fiddy

So your installing it into an CNC engraver?

Theres no graphs for the glasses so i dont know if they are good at all.

Fiddy

What driver you using?

It has horrible beam specs being a multimode diode, not the best for engraving.

What driver you using?

It has horrible beam specs being a multimode diode, not the best for engraving.

I'm going to use a driver with constant current Stable voltage IC circuit, constant current output (adjustable 0~580mA) DC supply voltage input 3.0~4.2V. And it is suitable for 808nm 100mw~500mW laser diodes. If that doesn't work, i'm going to make my own driver, cause i have an LM317 1.2-37V adjustable voltage regulator T0-220.

The reason i bought that laser, is because it was powerfull in my opinion and cheap (!) because i'm still a student. I hope it will do the job, it's not for cutting, but just engraving wooden iphone covers and similar stuff. Do you think it will do the job? And what do you mean by horrible beam specs?

Sorry for al my questions, i'm new to this!

Thanks in advance!