Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3 watt ir laser diode experiments

disma

I got a 3watt fiber coupled laser diode from ebay a couple months ago and decided to see what it would do, I removed the fiber, and drilled out the hole bigger, its still not getting all the power out I think it should, but it is definately colimated a lot better than the last fiber laser I tried to collimate. (17 watt.) I have been able to burn stuff at a good distance with this diode, I hold great expectations for this one when I get it finished! (hopefully this one wont just die. :eek: )

video is divx

Max

Attachments

• ir_-_3w.avi
    1.2 MB · Views: 135

disma

heres some pics of the 3w fiber diode mounted on an aluminum heatsink.

Max

Attachments

• 1_004.JPG
    1_004.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 976
I thought the fiber was an important aspect of a fiber coupled laser. Removing the fiber would drastically affect the output of the laser, would it not?

Or is the fiber there just to guide the beam? Always thought they doped the fiber with some rare earths or something which helps with the output.

disma

well, it seems to me that the fiber is a hinderance, after getting rid of it, it collimates a lot better, the problem is the fiber was a 1/4th inch inside the case, and so the beam spreads a quarter inch befor it gets to the side, so it is bieng blocked by the size of the hole in the side of the diode can. Yes, I believe there are some diodes like that out there, but I think this one is a simple diode focused into the end of the fiber.

Max

Thanks for the clarification. Although I thought with a fiber you could direct the beam better.

I remembered seeing fiber launch lens being sold on ebay by heruursciences. Not sure if they would be suitable for such fiber diodes.