Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3 element lens for 2W+ lasers?

Traditionally when it comes to lasers in excess of power of 1W , the only safe option would be using an all glass G-2 lens for fear that the arcyllic lens may melt as the lens heats up .

Now I'm wondering....... why not use another material that won't melt then?
There are plenty of glass compositions , when not use glass instead?
Maybe its my ignorance talking but I'm curious.

wsb_363x138_Diode_lens.jpg

Why the G-2 glass lens limitation?

Many people use the 3-element lense over the G-2 for the better beam specs. It also happens to be cheaper.

Many people use the 3-element lense over the G-2 for the better beam specs. It also happens to be cheaper.

I thought its gonna melt the lens or something or clip the output or something something?

It doesn't melt, but it does clip the beam. Less output power, but the beam looks better. That's why some prefer them over the G-2, sacrifice some power to lessen the "bar" shaped output from the high power diodes.

...the only safe option would be using an all glass G-2 lens

... Why not use glass instead?

uK3la.jpg

Use a glass lens instead of a glass lens?

There are many alternatives to the G2 lens, if that's what you're asking.

DTR

Yea only the acrylic lens will melt. A glass three element lens will not but it does clip the edges.:)

Really the only disadvantage to the 3 element lens combined with the diodes that have the bar shaped beam is that you will get some bat wings splash like this ( - ).

Alan

AixiZLaser has been selling us great 3 element glass lenses for years-
shipping from Houston TX and by letting them know you are forum and friend of Hak you can get free shipping BUT.. only at AixiZ.com--
NEW at AixiZ--
soon will be listing equavilent to G2/S1 single-but around $10 each- I have given out samples for testing one by Gadget 445 made 5% more than G2--

Thus GB prices but NO waiting--

hak

Really the only disadvantage to the 3 element lens combined with the diodes that have the bar shaped beam is that you will get some bat wings splash like this ( - ).

Alan

AixiZLaser has been selling us great 3 element glass lenses for years-
shipping from Houston TX and by letting them know you are forum and friend of Hak you can get free shipping BUT.. only at AixiZ.com--
NEW at AixiZ--
soon will be listing equavilent to G2/S1 single-but around $10 each- I have given out samples for testing one by Gadget 445 made 5% more than G2--

Thus GB prices but NO waiting--

hak

Call me a pleb but I never quite understood how does a 3 elements lens provide a "better beam profile" than a G-2 lens.
People always say how there's less power loss on a G-2 lens , that I get , but better beam profile? How?

So basically , for G-2/S-1 lens we are trading for almost 3 times the cost of a baseline 3-eles glass lens for something that is 5% better ...hmm... that's quite steep of a deal.

Call me a pleb but I never quite understood how does a 3 elements lens provide a "better beam profile" than a G-2 lens.
People always say how there's less power loss on a G-2 lens , that I get , but better beam profile? How?

FIRST let me preface this by saying I am miles away from EVER being an expert on optics.. BUT my *guess* is the 3 GLASS lenses in the $10 (not$40) 3 element AixiZ metal nut(not plastic) AR coated for 400-450nm makes a nicer beam profile by shaping a smaller rounder dot-FOR sure WE will hear from the real optic pros when they read this-

So basically , for G-2/S-1 lens we are trading for almost 3 times the cost of a baseline 3-eles glass lens for something that is 5% better ...hmm... that's quite steep of a deal.

hmmm
YES on 'G' lenses being >$30.
No on S1 lens costing <$10 from both of JOKER/Pauls awesome GB
From O-Like 'they' ( I was not a member of that GB) got them at a price NOT much lower than at No-LIke in the end-- still cheaper.

the second GB e got a nice savings on just a few and better in a larger number. While that GB was finishing up 'The Maricles' (Dr Chuck and Xia wife/biz partner of AixiZ) were on a buying vacay in China
and made a visit to the places all AixiZ lenses have been custom ordered over the years and came back with 200 of what I so far think are very close to same in both GBs
I gave a sample to Gadget on a first-ever visit to him(GREAT GUY!!!) and he did that +5% test while I watched & I was hoping for no more than 5% lower or better than the G lens- Kev even wondered if he had the graph lines reversed and re-did the test & graph

-however one tester is not enough- So when I finally get home(been on a road trip since Aug 7th) I will make graphs with what I have dubbed the 'A-2+' glass single element that ATM looks like broadband AR coated- the coating is NOT the same color as the G lens- nor the 445 AR coating- all three lenses have come in brass nuts with the lens all the way to one end= thus allowing it t be very close to the die.
WHY-
'A2+'

the A is for AixiZ the 2 for its 'closeness' (so far)to the G2 /S2 and the '+' is for what I pray is a lens for many wavelenghts-- I can only hope-
Sending samples also to Joker and Paul- and Cyp if he excepts my offer.

I still have AixiZ 3 element in stock here at $10 each- some glass for reds too. BUT no half thread 405 glass- dont think these are still offered anywhere.

and I will be able to ship the A-2+ lenses after aug 27-- got copper-all sizes
and many other items you can see at aixiz.com <the ONLY place to order AixiZ.

hope this is helpful and not taken as too spammy-:shhh:

c'mon where would we be without the aixiz 12x30 blank module??

AND no other company(USA) helps us as much as aixiz..IMHO.

hak:beer::thanks::wave::beer:

Last edited:

The three element lens doesn't sit as close to the diode and results in less of the light being collected. Combined with the multiple optics comprising the lens, results in up to 30% power loss compared to G2 type single glass element lenses.

The single element g-type lenses sit closer and collect more light, so more output power. IIRC, internal relections cause the "wings", so the dot is not as clean.