Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3.5W RickTrent 445nm C8 (PIC HEAVY)

Hi everyone! Today I bring you another review.

This laser is RickTrent's 3.5W 9mm single-diode laser. This is my second take on the laser, the first had dust on the diode window and burnt on nearly instantly...

However, I let Rick know and he offered to replace it free of charge. So A+ on the customer service :beer:

The laser itself is in a Cree/C8 host, with the heatsink popping out of the front of the laser. There is an optional focus adapter that the lens screws into. I choose not to use it most of the time because the laser loses focus rather quickly with it in place, that's just the nature of wheels and axles though.

8x8d.jpg

l5mo.jpg

hc72.jpg

The laser has four modes of operation. When it's first turned on, it's in full power mode, CW. I have no actual way to measure it's output power because my LPM maxes out at 2.5W. I have good reason to believe this is putting out what it is claimed to being brighter than medium mode.

This is full power:

gq84.jpg

95r2.jpg

At medium power, this is doing about 1.8W

4r94.jpg

ki3e.jpg

At low power, this is doing about 200mW.

9xl8.jpg

xzr3.jpg

Finally, there's a pulsed mode of operation at full power. Looking at the light it spreads in a room (not looking at the spot) will give you a headache... Still a cool effect though!

27l2.jpg

The laser is multimode like most other 445's, beam specs are between 635's and 1W 650's.

9ogt.jpg

3j45.jpg

Compared to my 532nm, the brightness is unmatched. This is INSANELY bright. This absolutely can't be used without goggles.

nt1z.jpg

904i.jpg

Compared to my 473nm, vs 3.5W it's barely even noticeable, vs 200mW they're on par with eachother.

pb1v.jpg

hve2.jpg

94l.JPG

vqly.jpg

6wg0.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with this laser. Rick did a wonderful job, I highly recommend buying one of these :)

I'll end this with some beamshots, enjoy folks :beer:

4mlw.jpg

dc3x.jpg

cp2v.jpg

Last edited:

Stin

Nice Review! The pics are great! :beer:

When I need to upgrade from my 1W to 3W+, I'll be going with rick

Blord

Nice pictures ! Do yo have a LPM output of the laser ?

Thanks guys!

I have the outputs of the medium and low powers if you want to see those. I gotta get a new LPM to measure the full power :p

Crush , Kill ,Destroy.

I do enjoy the high power mode and then switching to low to keep running cool. Having more than one mode is a very nice feature.
Thanks to Rick I can rid my house of What appears to be dangerous spiders, out of reach, without harmful chemicals. ( OK Spiders just activate an irrational fear for me.) Especially when one webs down from the ceiling over a food service area!!!

My 3.2 is a cree 8 combined with camo.

Likely the best 445's at the price point ever sold.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I don't think I killed anything more than a few ants with this laser, I can't say I use it too much due to how much power it has :p

I'll have an interesting video made tonight (after work) on the pulse mode and fabrics. Wherever the spot is some fabrics make a high pitched sound.

gismo

Wish I could rep for this thread (must spread some first...).
Pictures are worth more than words:kewlpics:

Besides, Rick's lasers and customer service are for those who bought from him recommended.

Congrats on this 3W+ monster:)

Thanks guys!

I don't think I killed anything more than a few ants with this laser, I can't say I use it too much due to how much power it has :p

I'll have an interesting video made tonight (after work) on the pulse mode and fabrics. Wherever the spot is some fabrics make a high pitched sound.

i noticed that with my laser projector. it makes a little crackling noise when it scans across my curtains.

Nice laser and great pics! I really enjoyed all the dot comparisons. +1 :beer:

I have one of his c8 reds and a 3.5w 445 its insane 445 is in a different host an mx900.
don't love the dot on the red but the beam is beautiful.