Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2D MagLite Host, 9mm Diode, 2A xdrive

Greetings laser enthusiasts!

I completed this build a few weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to posting it today...

The host came from JayRob, the 2D MagLite, with an optional voltage indicator light. Here is more info about this kit:

FS: Large Maglite Monster Kits! FlexModP3, Side Button Forward Clicky!

I got the 9mm 445nm diode from DTR. This is a great place to find most of your laser needs, and I really appreciate that DTR links to other vendors so that you can find everything you need easily.

Finally, I got the the xdrive from Lazeerer. He can be found easily on this forum, or you can just get the diode and drive together from DTR which is what I'll do next time! :)

Let me start by saying the host is awesome! It feels very substantial in my hand and the batteries last forever. I totally love it.

Here is how the kit came prior to assembly:

S1410003.jpg

S1410004.jpg

Next, some basic soldering. I had to connect the diode leads provided by DTR to the output of the driver, and then attach 2 more leads to the input of the driver, which were later attached to the 2 leads provided by JayRob from the laser host. All in all 6 solder connections. Like I said, next time I'll just get the driver from DTR already connected to the diode. The driver output was set to 2A by Lazeerer. I was originally going to mount the driver on the back of that massive heat sink, however, I had some spare copper heat sinks laying around from CajunLasers so I just attached one of those to the driver. There is plenty of room inside that big host, even with JayRob's custom voltage indicator light setup. I even left the back side of the module on there as well, because what the heck, it fits and its more metal to disperse heat.

S1420002.jpg

And so, putting all that together, we have ourselves a laser! :evil:

S1420004.jpg

Here is another beam shot, in which you might notice that the beam is a little off at an angle. I never did figure out how to correct that...
S1420007.jpg

In the pic below, you can see that voltage indicator light. It really is a nice touch, and it matches the laser color (at least when the voltage output of the batteries is full). The beam and the indicator light are actually both blue, but on camera they both come out looking more purple.

S1440008.jpg

For comparison's sake, the pic below is my M140 445 nm build in the Elite host (CajunLasers) with a 1.8A driver from Lazeerer. Interestingly enough, although I expected the 9mm diode to be a lot brighter, they are about the same, or the M140 at times looks brighter by a hair.

S1440002.jpg

Here is a closeup. Just lovely, don't ya think?!:yh:

S1440006.jpg

Here is a shot (below) of the beam from behind. From this perspective you can tell the beam goes off center to the left and upwards. Like I said, I haven't found a solution to this. I did try different G-2 lenses, and rotating the module in the heat sink, but to no avail on that one...

S1440012.jpg

Below are three more M140 vs 9mm shots:

S1440016.jpg

S1440019.jpg

S1450001.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the M140 build does not maintain full power for very long. It even got dimmer during some of these shots, in which I didn't have it on for too long. The draw must be too much for the batteries to handle for any real length of time. I blame the 18350's. Not so with the 2D host, however, especially with the batteries I ordered from JayRob. The Feilong batteries seem to last a good while.

Thanks for reading this far. I really appreciate all our vendors for making the parts available as well as their tech support!
:beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Nice beam shots! :cool:

About the beam coming out off center. There could be several things that can affect this type of thing...

The center hole on the heatsink is done on the lathe, and is perfectly centered, but not a press fit. So with slight variations in module O.D., some modules fit a litter looser that others, but some trial and error adjustment of module position may help.

Also, there is a possibility that the diode may have not been pressed perfectly even into the module.

And finally, there is also a possibility that the lens may not be perfectly centered inside the lens nut.

Could be one, or all of the above mentioned possibilities, but you should be able to do a little adjustment with rotating the module, etc...

Nice build though.

How did you mount the driver?

Yea, love the mag host for sure... that beast should be quite the burner, I'am sure your dying to know the output.

The centering of that diode other than what jay said could it be that when you seated the diode a chip of glue from the lens assembly could have remained and offset the diode from sitting square in the module?

Nice build concrats! If you allready have tried rotating the aixiz in the sink and tried different lenses then i am affraid you diode is not correctly pressed in the Aixiz module..

greetings,,

TheDukeAnumber1:
Yes, agreed, the voltage light really is an amazing touch! It was worth the extra $ :)

eugene420:
Indeed, I'm not sure why the pics come out purple with these diodes...

Jayrob:
I did notice that the module has some wiggle room inside the heat sink, so a lose fit probably accounts for some of the problem. But like you said its probably a combination of factors coming together. I did try a different G-2 lens and same problem... At any rate, I'm really tempted to get a new 9mm diode and to put this current one inside a labby laser. I always wanted to have/make one of those! On that note, does anyone know were I can get my hands on one of those massive heat sinks?
Oh, the driver. I never really mounted the driver. I just kinda put it inside the host. Here is a pic. You can (maybe) see the copper heat sink on its other side. Believe it or not it doesn't bounce around in there, but then again I'm not doing Star Wars acrobatics with it either. ;)
S1460007.jpg

jander6442:
Indeed, I *am* really curious about the output of both lasers. Thing is, I'd much rather spend $ on new lasers than a LPM... :D

offroadfreak8582:
Yep, probably that's part of it too... I think there's a labby in my near future... nice cat slide!

jayrob

You should insulate and/or mount the driver so that there is no way that it can bounce around and one of the components short against anything in there...

Hi Jayrob, I plan to, once I get a new diode and driver in there... I'm not suite sure how I'll do that yet though! :) I'll prolly go for insulating the driver rather than mounting it - that seems easier...