Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

25mW 780nm Red Laser - What's happening?

Hi,

I just bought a 25mW 780nm Red Laser.

I thought i could burn up black balloons, duct tape, etc.

The thing is, i barely can see the red laser (i did some research and i've seen it's because the laser it's IR 780nm), but that's not the problem, the problem is that the laser doesn't burn anything black or not, it seems laser is very, very weak.

I saw on eBay some green laser pointers with 5mW and the sellers say that they can burn black balloons, etc., but i bought a 25mW red laser, i thought "well, if a 5mW laser, burns things, this 25mW will incinerate things"

I'm disappointed, i don't know if i was scammed (if i was scammed i will give negative feedback on eBay D:), because a cheap chinese laser seems to have more power than the 25mW laser i've bought...

Can someone tell me some "tips", or knows what's happening?
By the way, i bought the laser with a build-in driver.

Haha... 25mW is not nearly enough to burn anything except your retina.
Real 5mW lasers will have a hard time doing any cutting and popping.
eBay sellers can't be trusted with laser specifications.

Sorry to say this, but your 780nm laser serves no purpose other than to be a Class IIIb eye hazard.

You'd want at least 75mW to pop balloons and burn things.

Only 200+mW lasers will 'incinerate' things.

aw... i see.

Well, then i will have to buy another one.

I want a laser that i can see the full beam at night (like the star wars sword D:), and if possible, powerful enough to burn something.

Can you advice me on a laser to do that? I know i'm on Red Laser forum, but it doesn't matter to me the laser color.

Right now i'm seeing this laser on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/808nm-1000-mw-high-power-burning-laser-diode-1-watt_W0QQitemZ180538114397QQcategoryZ53141QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6646308332234255192

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
That's higher up in the infrared spectrum than 780nm. It's even less visible.

Besides, that's just a diode. You will need more components.

Try to get a 50mW focusable green laser from Rayfoss or O-Like, and a pair of goggles. It will be able to perform basic burning tricks, and will have a clearly visible beam at night.

Asherz

aw... i see.

Well, then i will have to buy another one.

I want a laser that i can see the full beam at night (like the star wars sword D:), and if possible, powerful enough to burn something.

Can you advice me on a laser to do that? I know i'm on Red Laser forum, but it doesn't matter to me the laser color.

Right now i'm seeing this laser on eBay: 808nm 1000 mw high power burning laser diode 1 watt - eBay (item 180538114397 end time Aug-05-10 16:47:58 PDT)

What do you think about it?

I suggest not buying anything from ebay other than cheap 5mW green pointing pens, the rest on there is normally crap.

I suggest you do some searching first since you obviously have no idea about wavelengths, different sensitivity to yours eyes depending on colour.

I suggest you check out o-like, they produce cheapish lasers, but of good quality and are on spec most of the time. Look at getting a 75-150mW green laser, since green will appear to be brightest when looking at it and will have a very strong visible green beam as well as burn/pop things.

As a word of warning, these things ARE NOT TOYS, they will literally burst your pupil, and you will be blind for life if you hit your eye, or at best have a permanent black mark left in your vision. I suggest you order safety goggles suitable for the wavelength you purchase, green is 532nm, goggles should be suitable for that wavelength if your buying green.

dragonlaser safety goggles are very nice, I own a pair and block from ultraviolet all the way through blue and upto green:

Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

They also do very nice high quality lasers, but are expensive.

o-like also offer slightly cheaper safety goggles:

405nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles [OLGLG532] - $19.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

I think the DL ones are worth the extra $5 or so. And please don't attempt to "DIY" safety goggles, they may block light when looking through but any laser with respectable power will burn straight through them and into your eyes.

Don't skimp on safety, you only have one pair of eyes.