Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

22x LG diode

I just extracted a diode from an LG.  The unit had one flat plastic diode, and one can.  I'm guessing the can was the correct one, because it did light red.  Only about 2mw worth though :(.  I don't think I made any mistakes this time either.. Gentle extraction, gentle insertion into the meredith module..  Very quick soldering.  Owell.. next time I'll wear a grounding strap.
:( :( :( Its a depressing feeling when they don't work.

So.. first question..
Is that the same as the 22x LG's you guys have seen?  One long open can, and one flat plastic diode? (or maybe a better question, is what model number did you use. I see 3 22x LG models at one shop)

Then the 2nd question..
has anyone figured out if there is a difference between the 22x diode, and the ones in the group buy from the 18x burners?

Thanks!

I've seen one of those. i don't remember the model number, but it had a flat black diode and a long open can diode in it.

and there have been tests done on the 22x that show it performs with higher power at the same current as the 18-20x diodes, which would mean that it is more efficient and theoretically could be pushed harder than the 20x diodes, I'd still only put it at 420mA though. you should check out the other 22x threads in this Red Lasers section, there are a few.

good luck with the next one. the open cans are a bit tricky to extract...

what method did you use to get it out of the aluminum heat sink? I think that part is the most susceptible to damaging it.

-Kendall

To remove it from the heatsink, I tried snapping it out, the way it's possible w/ the blu-ray diodes. The metal did not snap, and maybe I put some stress on the diode.

i have a 300mw DIY that i made with the lg 22x that im running at 430ma. the diode is a long open can diode. It is VERY sensitive. Make sure to short all capacitors in your driver before you wire this puppy up.

TheGr8Revealing said:
i have a 300mw DIY that i made with the lg 22x that im running at 430ma. the diode is a long open can diode. It is VERY sensitive. Make sure to short all capacitors in your driver before you wire this puppy up.

Is 430ma a ok for the diode? Like how much heat sinking would you need?

If I was hosting with a Kryton 2, I wouldn't need any additional heat sinking correct?

daguin

Midknight said:
If I was hosting with a Kryton 2, I wouldn't need any additional heat sinking correct?

The entire Kryton barrel is the heat sink. I run one at 255mW all the time without any problem.

Peace,
dave