Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

2019-nCoV - VERY CRITICAL SITUATION. !DANGER!

lasersbee

I hope you're not still using that ebay "UVC LED" lamp, because those are fake.
Which "UV LED" Lamp are you refering to that I would
still be using ??
BTW... Thanks for mentioning that not all UV/UVC claimed
lights are true UVC lights that can disinfect.

I did my homework before building the disinfection box.
I have two 13 watt UVC tubes (not LEDs) in the box and a
remote control to turn it ON and OFF after the box is closed.
You can smell the ionized air when opening the box.

I did however receive some UVC LEDs yesterday to so
some true UVC detector testing on a new product circuit
design. If it all works out we will no doubt put it on the
market for the average person to test their "UVC" lights
to see if they are True UVC lights that can be used for
disinfection without needing to spend hundreds of
dollars on a UVC detector.

Am using these for the box...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B081RD3DFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered one of these for testing....
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MT411G7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry

Last edited:

Cyparagon

Which "UV LED" Lamp are you refering to that I would
still be using ??
A fake one perhaps? I dunno. You just said back in march:

I've recently purchased UVC LED lights to disinfect incoming
mail and courier packages in a dedicated box with a turntable.
1) The only commercially available UVC LEDs I'm aware of start at $7 each for a teeny tiny 3mW of light output each
2) I can't really see you as the type to build a large array of these yourself, since:
3) I presume you know a germicidal tube is so much cheaper and more efficient
4) fake listings for UVC LEDs are popular on ebay

Ergo, Cyp thinks you've bought a fake light.

Seoul_lasers

Innolux makes Inolux IN-M3939U1 6-Chip UV-C LEDs at $247.38ea. They are the most power you can get.
Good luck trying to purchase these. Only 60mW maximum. Also these modules require a special 54V power supply.
Typical use is to have 10-20 of these these for 600mW - 1.2W total output.

Cyparagon

^I've tried that. The problem is without the vacuum to insulate the arc tube, it doesn't get up to the operating pressure it was designed for, so not only does the lamp run way under its rated power, it is very inefficient. The cathodes sputter at an alarming rate when the lamp is underpowered, which greatly reduces life span. Also, since the arc tube support structures weren't designed for atmospheric operation, they will corrode quickly.

It works. Just very, very badly.

"Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it poorly enough"

lasersbee

A fake one perhaps? I dunno. You just said back in march:
You are absolutely correct. I bought that LED "UVC" 257nm
quoted light before I did my homework and yes it is Fake.

Hence the UVC Detector project I'm working on so that
anyone can affordably test their Chinese "UVC" lights to
know if they also got Ripped Off...

BTW... I also bought some of these just for testing...
Not disinfecting... The output is quite low.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/UVC-LED-SMD-0-1W-3535-265nm-280nm-310nm-Ultra-Violet-Lamp-with-20mm-Copper-PCB/264702561763?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=564512195516&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jerry

Cyparagon

UVC will give green bananas a sunburn, I've seen. Cheap qualitative test. I've got a shard of a fluorescent lamp that I use, personally.

Seoul_lasers

On Friday I saw my first commercial use of supposed UVC LEDs.... They were advertising them as 2W output which sounds to me as completely BS. These were the Innolux LEDs I mentioned earlier. As stated before they are able to do a maximum 60mW ea. There were 4 of these LEDs. 240mW of 257nm.

hmm....

Cyparagon

LEDs (and lighting sources in general) are more typically rated on power input, not output. This used to be a telling specification when there were only a few types of light generators, but the standard is long obsolete, isn't it. It's silly enough that 9W LED retrofit, 13W CFL, and 45W halogen all claim to be "60W equivalent" and the figure largely becomes almost meaningless.

2W infrared LED doesn't put out anywhere near 2W of inrared light.
2W blue LED doesn't put out anywhere near 2W of blue light.
2W white LED doesn't put out anywhere near 2W of white light.
It is therefore unsurprising to me that a 2W UV LED doesn't put out anywhere near 2W of UV.

RedCowboy

Gee I wonder if my el-cheapo car stereo amp isn't really 500 watts RMS ? It's the size of a grilled cheese sandwich with a 3amp fuse and has 500 Watts in big bold print.........

I think that's how much power you can hit it with before it bursts into flames.

I don't even count on the rating being input power..........btw I just saw 10,000 mAh ultrafire 18650's for sale at 1.50 each

Cyparagon

Sounds like it is 500 watts peak momentary performance output (PMPO). Not 500W RMS. It might be able to sustain that power for a few microseconds under ideal conditions and is a meaningless specification, but not necessarily false.

Another silly example is shop vacs with ratings like "6 horsepower peak". Never mind that the full 15A from a 120V circuit is under 2HP.

Of course, the 10AH 18650 is different in that it is a flat-out lie. But we digress.

Seoul_lasers

The data sheet shows 60mW typical output for those diodes each I mentioned. Nowhere near 2W as claimed.
I have made the store press the company in question get further clarification on their claims. To me it is flat out fase advertisementing.

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi, vp950-1_l.jpg
I have a Sterilight UV connected to my incoming house water it kills bacteria , cysts , and viruses . Dont know if this unit will help with Covid 19 virus in the open air. Just putting this out there.
Rich:)

Cyparagon

Why would disinfecting your water disinfect your air? No.

We use chlorine for our city water to (mostly) sterilize it. Some of the larger water treatment plants do use UV, as it becomes more economical in large scales. But as far as I know, modern city water systems are not going to be pathogen sources, least of all covid. Unless you've got a well out back, you're wasting your money.

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi cyp
I don’t live in the city I live in the country a rural setting horse farms and crops
I have well water and a softening system and I have installed a UV light in my system
You can keep your city water who knows what they add to it