Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

2019-nCoV - VERY CRITICAL SITUATION. !DANGER!

Snecho

They seem to be more effected by open carry and police violence. A black restaurant owner was shot and killed in Louisville yesterday by either police or the National Guard and left lying where he fell for 14 hours. He had been feeding protesters. Trump took a photo op in front of St. Michael's Church in Washington after having peaceful protesters violently removed from the park across from the White House so he could do so, and also make a "law and order" speech reminiscent of Nixon's 1968 speech that got him narrowly elected in that year. :(
That has almost nothing to do with Curtis' question about Covid cases. Besides, I thought this thread isn't for politics.

RedCowboy

That has almost nothing to do with Curtis' question about Covid cases. Besides, I thought this thread isn't for politics.
Correct this is not the politics thread, furthermore nobody wants to deal with the tired political hate speech and contrived propaganda of a proven pathological liar and he has been warned before yet continues to break the rules, somebody needs a time out.........paul

How bad was/is Kentucky affected by COVID?
If I were to list land mass and city density we would see that crowded cities are hit the hardest.

Kentucky has 10,000 cases and 439 deaths.....................population = 4.5 million
Washington state has 22,000 cases and 1124 deaths......population = 7.6 million
New Jersey has 161,000 cases and 11,721 deaths..........population = 8.9 million
Georgia has 47,000 cases and 2074 deaths.....................population = 10.6 million
New York has 200,000 cases and 21,607 deaths.............population = 19.5 million
California has 113,000 cases and 4251 deaths................population = 39.5 million
The US has 1.8 million cases and 105,000 deaths...........population = 330 million
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Last edited:

Snecho

How bad was/is Kentucky affected by COVID?
Pretty much what Red said case wise. I'd say our mayor did a pretty good job; we have a good amount less cases than most of the country. Overall it's been a very very difficult few months but I feel like it's been handled ok. The Kentucky Derby did pretty much get canceled unfortunately and Thunder Over Louisville kind of as well.

RedCowboy

We will see how things go, hopefully we are building herd immunity among the young and healthy, I track the numbers every day and have been for a couple months now, ATM things are still slowing down in many places but if we see a flare up I hope it won't be too severe.......that said something like 40% of the covid19 deaths have been in nursing homes and as it is 7450 people die in the US every day from normal causes.....my question is how many of the covid19 deaths are among people who were going to die this year anyway ? 105K covid19 deaths in what 100 days ? There was going to be 750K deaths in 100 days anyway so the 105K covid19 deaths could easily be highly inflated as most have been old and sick people, less than 1% of the covid19 deaths have been people under 40 years old.....more people under 40 have died in automobile accidents than covid19 in the same amount of time, a lot more.

With lifestyle changes and community immunity we may be able to go back to work and manage things, we will see this coming winter.

Last edited:

Coonie

Yeah not everyone is healthy when they contracted the virus. It's like if my mom were to get it she would certainly not survive it due to her existing condition.

RedCowboy

High risk persons will need to continue sheltering in place, my father orders everything he needs delivered and hasn't left his home in months and said he won't until there's a vaccine and that sounds good to me, but the low risk people want/need to go back to work.

As for young people who are high risk due to medical reasons who obviously have not reached retirement and don't get disability......they will need to be extra careful and I will continue to wear my mask even though I am reasonably healthy so as not to spread the virus should I catch it and be asymptomatic........but somehow I expect I would have symptoms......either way I will keep wearing my mask in public until there's a vaccine which could be another year or more.........even when there is a vaccine I may want to see others get it and wait to learn about any unforeseen side effects.

Last edited:

hakzaw1

I try to not think too much about this''
OVER 65? --yep.. 73 in July
Heart problems ?-ER &- ICU twice in 2018
COPD-?-got it- (& i pretty much never smoked)
Diabetes? -- I am borderline pre diabetic
so 3 out of 4 or five-- yeah
'dont stand
don't stand
don't stand so close the me'

RedCowboy

We are all getting older and will all have to deal with health issues over time before we get to the happy hunting grounds............until then everyone stay aware and take care.

Last edited:

Snecho

We are all getting older and will all have to deal with health issues over time before we get to the happy hunting grounds............until then everyone stay aware and take care.
I'm gonna be like Elon Musk and download the latest sentient human AI into my head and live forever :ROFLMAO:

Seoul_lasers

I'd like to share with you a post from the Fusor forums:
This kind of sums up my take on this virus so far as well looking at cases world wide.
Comments of course are welcome.

So far, B.C. has started reopening without any new active cases for now almost 1 month.

Dennis P Brown » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:47 am

As for whether the virus is getting less deadly, the evidence does not support that; while that is possible the rates are rather high compared to the flu (more have died in three months than all the typical flu season; and in the last four months, it has topped 100 k! I will add that children/teens just don't seem to have any such issues very unlike the flu that kills in that age group as well. This is a very different illness and nothing like the flu and should never be compared to the flu. ) So current data does not indicate this illness is only as deadly as the flu nor getting less deadly. However, I will say that this illness is significantly more contagious compared to the flu and this may affect the total deaths making the death rate look higher. Time will tell but this virus is very deadly for older adults and people with existing conditions and should not be assumed it is something just like the flu - utterly false.

As for over reporting of cases, that too is not yet supported by current data - expected average deaths for recent time periods show deaths (even counting current covid deaths) are well above previous expected rates for the time periods.

Here is a good source on this topic relative to Covid and flu:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2766121

And even Scientific American has an article on this topic:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... o-oranges/

For CDC data - see:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm
and
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e5.htm

As for mutation - all virus do but this is highly dependent on the virus type. Covid, while drifting, is doing so very slowly. Death rates are still far higher than the flu and there is no evidence the virus is getting less deadly; maybe in time but currently not. That is good news since a vaccine will likely be effective for a longer time - once and if one is developed.

Here is a useful site

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... unity-last?

An article from the WP is available that explains the source for some misleading info and what experts are saying:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/e ... story.html

There are many, many more available sites so it is best to read up on the facts rather than offer speculation that is not supported by evidence.

For speculation on my part for why this illness appears both worse and not so, I do feel that the refusal to make the development of testing kits a priority was a critical failure by our government and its leaders. The failure to start testing early when the illness was known to be hitting China hard, and refusal to make a major effort to developed an accurate test was a major factor in both the inability of this country to get accurate information (still an issue but getting far better) and prevent further spreading. But the facts of this will be determined in a future date when nobody will likely care, of course.

lasersbee

The virus can’t survive long enough on a parcel.
Depends where it's coming from and if an infected
person is the delivery chain has recently touched your
package.

I built a UVC Mail Disinfection box just for this possible
scenario,

I'd like to share with you a post from the Fusor forums:
This kind of sums up my take on this virus so far as well looking at cases world wide.
Comments of course are welcome.

So far, B.C. has started reopening without any new active cases for now almost 1 month.
I'm still sceptical if the decrease in cases is not largely
due to the warmer weather killing off some of the viruses
instead of thinking it is becoming under control.

I predict that once the "social distancing" relaxes this
summer and the weather becomes colder in the Fall
there will be a large surge in COVID-19 cases...

Tha't just a strong feeling I have........

Jerry

Last edited:

RedCowboy

I track the US cases each day and there are still new cases and deaths every day, however for my county of 900,000 people there are 4229 cases and 139 deaths, 10 days ago it was 3795 and 121, and 10 days before that it was 2979 and 88 and 10 days before that it was 2544 and 71 deaths............but in reality we are still dealing with small numbers, what we don't know is how many have cleared this virus and how many have not had it yet, if most have not had it yet then we could see a big swell in cases and deaths in the time ahead, but as it stands in the US out of 330 million people we have seen 2 million cases and 113,000 deaths, numbers I predicted but remember 7700 people die in the US every day on average from normal causes so these numbers over the last couple months are not that big, however it's still roughly 5.65 % which is a big number if all cases are counted but I expect 75% or more are not, still 1.41% death rate based on 75% not known is still bad and we could see a big swell, I hope unknown/cleared cases are a lot higher but I also fear a winter sick season........we will see if all the protest/riots where many were unprotected and not social distancing result in an increase in the numbers of new cases in these areas in the short time ahead.

Seoul_lasers

Actually got word today that a second wave of CoVID-19 has started in Beijing... " 50 people infected" ... which in real word terms is probably closer to 500. This ain't over yet... not by a long shot.

true UVC LEDs are astronomically expensive... Please
get this if you want a UVC sterilizer.

$32.00 ... this produces 253.7nm UVC and comes directly from Sylvania co.
more than enough UVC to do

Also have a look at the Phillips lighting div. PDF. below.