Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

2019-nCoV - VERY CRITICAL SITUATION. !DANGER!

Bob_Boyce

A bit of track but you obviously have seen that China is now invading the US with fake copys of rare coins like a 43 copper penny:mad:.
I'm reading that they fool even the advanced coin collectors and need 3rd or 4th party experts.
Yuppirs. They used to put steel cores in the fake silver coins they made. Last few years, they've switched to silver plated copper. I have an analyzer that gives me a precise composition of pretty much anything that contains up to 16 elements. It uses nuclear magnetic resonance. I had bought an NMR machine and found multiple uses for it.

• Wow
Reactions: GSS

RedCowboy

Yuppirs. They used to put steel cores in the fake silver coins they made. Last few years, they've switched to silver plated copper. I have an analyzer that gives me a precise composition of pretty much anything that contains up to 16 elements. It uses nuclear magnetic resonance. I had bought an NMR machine and found multiple uses for it.
I bet that was an expensive machine although I suppose you could construct something from surplus parts, NMR analyzer is not something produced in China for the masses as of yet..........when it is I want one.

Has anyone talked to Chris aka " Alaskan " recently ? I haven't seen him around in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Seoul_lasers

Please share your stories about where you live and how people are coping with the virus.
Here we have probably 60 or so cases in Victoria.... not sure. Mainland has over 600 cases thus far. I am thinking this number is likely to quadruple in the next 2 days.

We are under a mandatory 2m (6ft) social distancing order which is enforceable via police. We have seen lots of hoarding behaviour and reselling of N95 masks. There has, fortunately been some local manufacturing of reusable masks.

My thinking is that in 2 weeks time we will not be allowed out. Metro Vancouver will be in a complete lockdown. ( I hope I am wrong)

paul1598419

That's strange. I happen to know the NMR we used at CU cost more than $1 million. They use very highly magnetic fields, so much so that we left our wallets outside so as not to interfere with any magnetic strips on credit or debit cards.

Here in Pierce County, Washington we are on mandatory lock down. This is also police enforced. If you don't work in a field considered necessary like health care worker, police, FD, groceries, etc. you must show that you aren't too far from home if going for groceries.

In Mississippi today the governor overruled the cities of Tupilo and Jackson, where people were ordered by their mayors and city council members to stay home. Since that many people who were working from home were ordered to return to work. Just next door in Louisiana they are experiencing the fastest infection roll out of any place in the country. Much is due to Mardi Gras celebrations back in February. I have been there for Mardi Gras and it is hundreds of thousands of drunks falling over each other. Can't think of a worse place to be in this pandemic. I feel for the people in Mississippi.

Seoul_lasers

That's strange. I happen to know the NMR we used at CU cost more than $1 million. They use very highly magnetic fields, so much so that we left our wallets outside so as not to interfere with any magnetic strips on credit or debit cards.

Here in Pierce County, Washington we are on mandatory lock down. This is also police enforced. If you don't work in a field considered necessary like health care worker, police, FD, groceries, etc. you must show that you aren't too far from home if going for groceries.

In Mississippi today the governor overruled the cities of Tupilo and Jackson, where people were ordered by their mayors and city council members to stay home. Since that many people who were working from home were ordered to return to work. Just next door in Louisiana they are experiencing the fastest infection roll out of any place in the country. Much is due to Mardi Gras celebrations back in February. I have been there for Mardi Gras and it is hundreds of thousands of drunks falling over each other. Can't think of a worse place to be in this pandemic. I feel for the people in Mississippi.

Sounds interesting. I sure hope those infection numbers start to plateau soon. I really don't want to see an Italy 2.0 situation in the US or here in Canada.

Thinking about what will happen in the next week to 2 weeks. Kinda scary.

RedCowboy

I am thinking about the next 2 months because we are not really locking down yet.
Supposedly the number of infected doubles every 5 days.
I live in Dekalb county Ga. where we have 760,000 people and right now 129 infected but it's likely more, still 129 is not much but a month ago it was just a few.
The next month won't be a big deal, not here, in New York it will go bad fast over the next month, what about nationally if this holds true ?

So in 5 days we will have 250 ( rounded off ) here where I live. In the entire US we have 68,000 so 5 days would be 125,000 ( Rounded )
10 days 500 ....... USA 250K
15 days 1000 ....... USA 500K
20 days 2000 ....... USA 1M
25 days 4000 ....... 2M
30 days 8000 ....... 4M
35 days 16000 ........ 8M
40 days 32000 ........ 16M
45 days 64,000 ....... 32M
50 days 128,000 ...... 64M
55 days 256,000 ...... 128M
60 days 512,000 ..... 256M
65 days everyone

We really need to lock down tight ASAP

Here's a clickable map you can track it and get each states info. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Last edited:

paul1598419

The problem with your math on this is the relationship between the number infected now does not rise linearly, like 2X every few days to a week. Instead it rises exponentially. It seems to be linear until it isn't any longer. Then you see a vertical line going straight up.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, virus curves are exponential. Easy to see why when you look at it on a transmission basis. One person passes it on to 5, and then those five pass it on to another five for example. Not the rate of covid-19 I’m stating before anyone says anything. The transmission rate of covid-19 is very scary though.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
This interactive map gives decent data based projections: https://covidactnow.org/

You're right Red' we don't need half of the states doing quarantine light 'shelter in place' orders. We should bite the bullet and have a national order (like England's or India's) for about 3 weeks to break the cycle of spread. We've already waited long enough that this is gonna be ugly.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Your point still stands, in fact even more so. As the projection will end up being far sooner. So it is very worrying. The lockdown here is quite a soft one in comparison to other countries in Europe. Italy especially.

hakzaw1

WHAT I DO know..

'At most danger'

Over 65 years--(I am 72)
COPD--got that one
and Heart Failure (combined systolic & diastolic congestive)-- got that one too-Atrial-flutter/fib. in 2018 and was in ICU twice
and chronic bronchitis for years (not from smoking btw)
and border line/pre-diabetic.
thus--I am a dead man-- if I get this----: - (

hak

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Please shield yourself Len and take care. Be careful and limit exposure to people if possible.
I sincerely hope you get through the outbreak.

Bob_Boyce

WHAT I DO know..

'At most danger'

Over 65 years--(I am 72)
COPD--got that one
and Heart Failure (combined systolic & diastolic congestive)-- got that one too-Atrial-flutter/fib. in 2018 and was in ICU twice
and chronic bronchitis for years (not from smoking btw)
and border line/pre-diabetic.
thus--I am a dead man-- if I get this----: - (

hak
I can relate. I also have AFIB, caused by a minor heart valve problem. I used to have congestive heart failure and pulmonary edema. I cured that myself a few years ago, during the testing phase of one of my technologies. It was a simple issue really. My cardiologist was suprised at how simple it was once I explained it to him.

hakzaw1

ATM I feel fine--& have had zero contact w/anyone for ~ 2 weeks.
TY for the kind words and I will keep all my laser brothers (& sisters) in my prayers and heart.

HOWEVER I must question the intellect of the many people doing press confos using the same mic--very closely to their faces over and over WTF!!??

what does 'keep others at least 6 feet away' mean ?
---IMHO that would include items close to others while speaking-- just normal speaking makes thousands of mini spit balls into the air---
??can I borrow your face mask when you are done with it......NOT.?