Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mw new style dilda from DX .. too strong ?

DrSid

I had old style dilda before (killed it) .. and on best focus it would burn through CD case in 10 seconds. I can't tell how strong it was, as I don't have LPM.
Today I received new style variant of it (with better focus knob). It came with batteries .. so I put them in .. and it burned about the same .. I was happy I have my laser again.
But tonight the burning became weaker .. I removed the no-name batteries which was included, and inserted Duracell CR2 from my old laser (now dead). And blam ! It can burn through CD case in 3 seconds on best focus. I can burn 1mm hole through it with little defocus in 10 seconds.
How good is your 200mw red laser in burning ? Can it be compared somehow ?

Edit: it takes about 320mA.

Last edited:

if focused right my 200mW red putting out 210mW could burn mini craters in most things with just a flash of it. maybe your old one was underpowered.

DrSid

From what I found about red laser diodes, 320mA would roughly correspond to 200mW, so yeah, it seems the old one was weaker.

I was worred yesterday when my new style dilda would be bright for a second and then get really weak. I finally decided to spend 20 dollars on the 2 overpriced Duracell CR2 batteries I needed. My laser is burning better than before and it doesnt get weak after a second. I have been playing with it for about an hour. It is so tempting to burn everything in my house. My laser has about the same burning power as yours. I still consider myself a noob when it comes to lasers but I think Fonduman is right, the old style dilda was probably underpowered.

DrSid

Yes, this one second fading simply means bad batteries. Strange think is that one of the included batteries is fine, only the other is flat.