Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW Green laser eye damage and 6-year follow up - Laser safety is serious

k00

A while ago I had an incident with laser eye damage and posted about it to a thread on candlepowerforums, and the thread became a sticky.

My update is here:

CandlePowerForums

Some details are outlined in the update but the original thread can give more on the two cases documented.

The purpose of this thread is to add some gravity to your current sticky regarding the 1W blue laser and laser safety. Because when individuals are told "you can permanently damage your eyes, for life," it simply does not entirely register until they read a personal account, with relatable descriptions, or it happens to them. More focus should be put on ensuring everyone understands the capability and potential of harm that they now easily flick around in their hand as they wield small lasers that are at a power level that once was only available as $5000 desk-mounted units intended for laboratories.

If adding a super annoying thorough splash screen and some links to safety information during the registration process for this forum ensures that even one person does not make a dumb mistake such as not wearing goggles regardless of how safe they think their handling or environment is, it was worth it. I call for more education and informative protocol, because although we all know how strong these lasers are, the consequences don't register until you experience their repercussions yourself. And, in the case that laser damage is done, ensuring that a person knows to get themselves to relevant medical professionals, quickly, is important.

Recognize the absolutely ridiculous capability of the device you have access to, and also recognize that the fact that it fits snugly in your hand does not take away from this capability. I once saw a 1 W, 445 nm laser on a local classifieds board for 80 dollars. It has ZERO safety features - no delay start, aperture cover, key lock, etc. Just a rear click on-off switch. Removing the batteries is the only thing that provides a safeguard. Examine the units you have and how easy it may be to misfire, and be safe!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Good info! Yes this is exactly why we are so wary of selling to noobs, because we know, no-matter how much we tell them, that they PROBABLY won't wear safety glasses. I mean, I didn't when I started at lasers...

Thanks for good info...

:beer:

Welcome to LPF. I sympathise with your unfortunate experience. It is good to hear that you have come away relatively intact from it. Your effort post-trauma is commendable. Education and self-censorship on safety and eye-pro is indeed key in preventing such accidents. It is the very reason why such forums as LPF exist. But then again it seems not every interested party comes through this way to look us up. Generally, all sorts of overspec/underspec lasers are easily available online to buyers by direct import from related factories located overseas. And enthusiasts can even learn from trial/error, self-help tutorials on YT or blogs on how to build their own hand-helds using parts recycled off projectors and dvd burners. Unlike firearms, lasers are already used and accessible in all kinds of equipment. The point is that regulation by the powers-that-be through policy intervention can only go so far. It also consumes a considerable amount of resources to enforce such rules and this is very difficult to sustain in the foreseeable future. Although the penalties that accompany such newly-defined offenses might increase to help out. Hence the media is sometimes used to stir up unwarranted attention and fear. Like the Prohibition days, misconceived policies will more likely just drive it underground but not buried. It was hard to stop others hell-bent on brewing/obtaining boot-legged stuff. But genuine enthusiasts will always protect our hobby by refraining and enlightening others from using lasers in an unsafe or ill-intended manner. Appreciate your sharing. Wishing you best in your recovery and journey.:beer:

Last edited:
Happens to the best of us man. There have been a few vets who have been smacked in the eye with a nasty laser beam. Its sad but something we always stress. I just found out a good friend of mine got hit in the eye with a 1.5W 445nm and he didnt want to tell anyone since he was embarrassed (I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT HE MEANS!), sorry buddy :(

I know I STRESS, I mean STRESS laser safety to every new member I can and sometimes people question why I stress safety, "its only a 50mW laser" and this is the exact reason. No one means to catch a laser in the eye, it just happens. If you use safety glasses then there are NO ACCIDENTS! If I ever got hit in the eye I probably wont tell anyone for a LONG time, its hard to say "hey, I or we or whoever, did something slightly stupid and I paid the price :cryyy:

Thanks for this. I enjoy reading things like this because it helps to reinforce how important safety is. It's one of the reasons I'm holding off buying another set of 16340s - with my current two I can only run one of my high powered lasers at a time. To me that's inherently safer as with one hand free I can hold the glasses to safely peek over them but with two lasers in tow I could slip or even In a moment of madness forget the goggles and then hit a reflection. It's also quite frightening taking a reflected hit with goggles on, you obviously can't see the laser light but a sixth sense tells you it's happening, particularly when shining a laser at a crystal and you see very dim diffuse flashes when moving it.

Sometimes I even close my eyes WITH the goggles on depending what I'm shining the laser at ( usually to get a photo) but have already had a few close-ish calls during moments I deemed the goggles to be off. All I can say is... Respect teh lazors! ... And do whatever you have to in order to keep the situation under control.

Last edited:

Tmack

I really wanted to keep it to myself in hopes I would make a close to full recovery. (high hopes I know) but since my healing has plateaued for the moment, I fear that this cloud in my left eye is permanent. I'm lucky I only sustained the damage I did. Could have been much worse.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It is amazing what lengths the brain goes to create an image in our heads; for us to see the world we are in. This is so important, that even when you have permanent eye damage, your brain makes use of its reduced data to eventually create a picture with no hole in it!

Tmack

Very true. Even inside the cloud where at first was all white, I can now see colors and movement . Still very uncomfortable. It's like I want to rub away a film on my eye, but can't.