Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mw 405nm safety

Hello I'm new to this forum and lasers in general and I bought a $27 200mw blue/ royal purple laser with focusing lens. Will I get eye damage from pointing the laser at an open field and looking at the dot? Since it's a focusable laser, I assume it might not have an IR filter and i'm just curious if the IR can cause harm by just pointing it at surfaces even if it's non-reflective or even at least 10 feet. I'm also getting multiwavelength goggles so those should come in handy. Thanks to y'all. :)

Hello I'm new to this forum and lasers in general and I bought a $27 200mw blue/ royal purple laser with focusing lens. Will I get eye damage from pointing the laser at an open field and looking at the dot? Since it's a focusable laser, I assume it might not have an IR filter and i'm just curious if the IR can cause harm by just pointing it at surfaces even if it's non-reflective or even at least 10 feet. I'm also getting multiwavelength goggles so those should come in handy. Thanks to y'all. :)

hmm no, maybe, not sure some surfaces are not what they seem and if you could see in IR for example a clear lens would look kinda like milk my guess is you would be safe. and yes the glasses would be helpful, a specific wavelength may give better OD for you laser though.

OH ya welcome to the forum, lots of knowledge here seems a bit much at first but after a few months you will up to speed :p Have fun

Please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a 405nm require infrared to of certain nm to get the desired wavelength of 405nm just like a green laser?

Laser pointer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Though green (532 nm) lasers are most common, IR filtering problems may also exist in other DPSS lasers, such as DPSS red (671 nm), yellow (589 nm)and blue (473 nm) lasers. These DPSS laser wavelengths are usually more exotic, more expensive, and generally manufactured with higher quality components, including filters, unless they are put into laser pointer style pocket-pen packages. Most red (635 nm, 660 nm), violet (405 nm) and darker blue (445 nm) lasers are generally built using dedicated laser diodes at the output frequency, not as DPSS lasers. These diode-based visible lasers do not produce IR light."

Glenn

how did I miss it was a blue ray? lol oh well

noob.jpg

Do some more reading before handing out advice. You have a long way to go before you can give recommendations. Read more, post less.

I read more than you know and I don't think I need you to tell me that 405nm don't have IR, I was sleepy when I saw the thread and already stated the oops about the mess up, so thanks for correcting me after I already corrected myself :wtf:

You asked a question, I answered it. :na:

lol not fair though that picture make me die every-time I see it. For real though, their is no way I could have thought a 405nm needs IR protection, had so many damn 532nm threads going yesterday, I must have gotten confused