Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

20 Watt Handheld laser burns paper 15 feet !!

Ok im not sure how it would be 20watts that small adn portable. it looks like its ir, but im not sure. heres the video from youtube.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lMsjR7s8S4[/media]

Switch

It's either not even near 20W and more like 2-4W with a beam expander, or it's not handheld, maybe what he's holding is a fiber optic with collimator, though I doubt one of those 20W bricks to collimate that well.Maybe it's a CO[sub]2[/sub] or other high powered IR laser on a table actually doing the burning.

Anyway, it's clear that something's not right since he doesn't show the unit in his hand. ::)

It's a YAG on fiber. CO2 would not show up on the video. You can clearly see the IR dot so I'm sure it's NIR but with all the noise in the background it sounds like the power supply and cooling system to a YAG.

Switch

FrothyChimp said:
It's a YAG on fiber. CO2 would not show up on the video. You can clearly see the IR dot so I'm sure it's NIR but with all the noise in the background it sounds like the power supply and cooling system to a YAG.
Yea that sounds like the best bet.I didn't bother to look for a dot, it's way too late. ;D And I have no idea what a YAG laser sounds like.Haven't even seen one in action not to mention own one :D

FrothyChimp said:
NOOB QUESTION.. WHAT'S A YAG ???

Actually i remember a member of LPF who said he was going to make a 20Watt hand held. He already had like a 2-4W hand hald and he was waiting to buy a 20W cmount.

laserwanabe said:
Actually i remember a member of LPF who said he was going to make a 20Watt hand held.  He already had like a 2-4W hand hald and he was waiting to buy a 20W cmount.

a cmount diode would melt at the current needed for 20 watts, usually >5W comes in funky large diode packages like the huge 100w water cooled bricks that show up on ebay from time to time

artix

MarioMaster said:
[quote author=laserwanabe link=1224706919/0#8 date=1224710880]Actually i remember a member of LPF who said he was going to make a 20Watt hand held.  He already had like a 2-4W hand hald and he was waiting to buy a 20W cmount.

a cmount diode would melt at the current needed for 20 watts, usually >5W comes in funky large diode packages like the huge 100w water cooled bricks that show up on ebay from time to time[/quote]

YEAH I'VE SEEN THOSE ON EBAY, THEY ARE JUST CUBES WITH A LITTLE (WELL, IT LOOKS LITTLE BECAUSE THE DIODE IS SO BIG!) HOLE IN THE TOP! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A VIDEO OF THAT! AND IT'S BEAM WILL PROBABLY BE VISIBLE! SO TELL HIM NOT TO FORGET THE BEAMSHOTS!

WELL ACCORDING TO THE GUY ON THE FORUMS HE WAS BUYING A 20W CMOUNT. HE A HAD A GIANT BOOST CIRCUIT ALREADY BUILT FOR THE DIODE. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CMOUNTS, OR IF THEY EVEN SELL 20W CMOUNTS.... BUT EVEN 5W IN YOUR HAND IS [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Here's a 5 watt 808nm:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/hABB0O__ubA&hl=en&fs=1[/media]

WOW FROTHY THAT WAS A GREAT VIDEO, ONE I DID NOT KNOW THAT THE DOT IS ACTUALLY A SQUARE. 5 WATTS IS EXTREMELY POWERFUL, VERY NICE DEMONSTRATION AND THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

artix

THAT IS AWESOME! :eek:

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY TO WORK FOR OEM LASER SYSTEMS!!!! YOU GET TO DEMONSTRATE REALLY POWERFUL LASERS!