Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2 new lasers coming!

Yesterday I ordered a 5mw green laser from Optotronics. Just a fun laser to have and safe to use without goggles. However I wanted a burning laser as well. The RPL/PPL lasers from Optotronics and the Aries series from Laserglow look really great, but I'm not (yet?) willing to spend that much money on a laser. Browsing the forum I read about the DX200mw red laser (so called dilda-laser). 200mw for $53! That's a real bargain. So I found myself placing the order today... :-[

Hope my girlfriend goes easy on me when I get the 2 new lasers.

But now I need some good protection before I can burn. I can't seem to choose between 2 models:

1) The Wickedlaser sport elite red laser goggles. OD for 606-694nm is 5+. VLT is 17.6%. Price with shipping (a whopping $21,99!) totals $71.98. The WL goggles are in fact the KRR model made by the company NoIR lasershades, if the datasheet on the WL page is real that is. The normal WL red laser shades come without specifications, so I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to those.

2) The OEM Laser Systems DIA protective glasses. OD for 630-700nm is 1.5+. VLT is 39%. Price ex. shipping is $71,25. Cannot find shipping cost on their site. OEM also offers a KRR model with similar OD and VLT specs compared to the WL sport elite, but this one costs $97,50.

The WL goggles seem to offer better protection for less money. Real question is: how much protection does one need with a 200mw red? Is OD 5+ overkill? Is OD 1.5+ not enough when it comes to serious reflection or direct exposure? It would be nice to see as much details of the spot as possible within safety limits. Can an experienced user help me out here? Thanks. :)

Razako

Get the wicked laser shades. I use them with my pulsar125 and my eyes are fine.

I haven't bought any protection yet,

I've got 50mW, 30mW, 20mW Greens

and the 200mW Dilda-Lazor on the way.

Should probably invest in two pairs of googles eh,
problem is you can't see the bloody things anymore.

But with my little knowledge, I'd say OD 3+ or 4+ is what you want.

If you must buy either of the two go with the WL ones.

iewed

Thats odd, a few weeks ago the WL Sport shades had an OD of 2.

Zom-B

I think I saw somewhere that the OD corresponds to the number of zeros of the absorption ratio, like this:

lightenteringeye = lightfromlaser / 10[sup]OD[/sup]

Right?

So a goggles with OD of 1.5 will transmit 1/33th (ooph! still burns) of the light and with 5 it's already 1/10000th.

chido

The sport style goggles from wicked lasers are OD2. And I believe the lasershades are OD3.

chido said:
The sport style goggles from wicked lasers are OD2. And I believe the lasershades are OD3.

The datasheet on their site suggests otherwise. Perhaps they updated the model?

VW

As for a burning laser, Nova's X 125mW and Dragon Lasers Viper 125mW are really cheap and great for burning. People would suggest to get the X from Nova, but both are fine. However if you want a burning laser at a cheap price, getting a pen model would be more beneficial than getting say an RPL, unless you specifically want that type of model and safety features.

Hi Petrovski, Phoenix here, Contact JOHN LAWSON on this Forum & ask if he still has any shades left. They are at LEAST, but PROBABLY BETTER than the lasershades from Wicked. I have a pair from John Lawson & a pair from Wicked & John's seem to be a BIT BETTER than the Lasershades from Wicked. Also John Lawsons shades are only about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Wickeds, depending on where he has to ship them to. He's only got a few pair left, so get ahold of him QUICK before they're gone!

Well the 200mW Dilda-Lazor has arrived and it doesnt seem to do any damage through reflection off white surfaces etc.

I haven't hit myself in the eye obviously but I think I might be able to get away with not buying shades.

phoenix77 said:
Hi Petrovski, Phoenix here, Contact JOHN LAWSON on this Forum & ask if he still has any shades left. They are at LEAST, but PROBABLY BETTER than the lasershades from Wicked. I have a pair from John Lawson & a  pair from Wicked & John's seem to be a BIT BETTER than the Lasershades from Wicked. Also John Lawsons shades are only about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Wickeds, depending on where he has to ship them to. He's only got a few pair left, so get ahold of him QUICK before they're gone!

Thanks for the tip Phoenix, but I already ordered and paid for the WL aka NoIR shades yesterday. I'm confident they will be adequate for the 200mw DX red.

@ Dingers: aren't you taking a big risk there? The idea behind using eye protection is (or should be imho) that you prepare for the worst case scenario, which is a direct hit or a serious reflective one in the eye.

I have the red DX200 also and because red looks a lot duller you get the impression it's safer. Red lasers are just as dangerous and one misdrected reflection to your eyes will damage them.

It is not worth the risk and only have one set of eyes.

Also with the wicked laser red lasershades you can accually focus the beam properly and it's easy to get the smallest spot to enable a much better burn.

Without the glasses it's much harder to focus. I did not buy the sports pair, but prefer the shades as these have allround protection on the sides, whereas the sports pair do not.

Petrovski, get the WL lasershades. The sports elite are indeed >5 OD and make it IMPOSSIBLE to aim the laser - you have to take the goggles off to use the laser = dangerous.

I don't quite remember where, but just in the past few weeks I posted here on LPF a personal test I conducted on the lasershades verifying ~2.5-3.0OD. They are excellent goggles and they are what I personally use to red protection.

And for the sales pitch: If you're interested and in the US I sell brand new WL lasershades for $39.99 shipped - PM for international rates.