Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W blue vs 100mW green?

ARG

The 1W 445nm and 100mW are very comparable in terms of visibility.

Beam: (532nm 100mw) vs. (445nm 1000mw)

532nm got a better beam and is brighter by 43%

I always question the accuracy of that tool, 43% brighter doesn't seem right to me.

It says 4.4W of blue and 300mW of green are the same, even though the blue was MANY times brighter, and had a larger beam. (The 300mW green had a tiny beam of 1mm at aperture, 0.6-0.7mrad)

Last edited:

DrSid

I agree .. I would expect 445nm to be about 4 times less bright the green .. and you must also consider that 445nm disperse better in air, which makes the beam even more bright.

Blue will burn better at close range, and will be a lot more dangerous at close range. Green will have tighter spot at a distance, still very bright beam, and will be somewhat safer, except at long ranges it will be less safe, as they have a lot better divergence then 445nm 1W lasers.
100mW is on bottom range of burning .. it will pop black balloons, but it can have troubles lighting matches. 1W is beam of death compared to it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I just compared my 500mW 445nm and my 100mW 532nm. They are dead nuts the same brightness. To me, the 500mW is a tad brighter. I believe that "relative brightness" tool is veryyyy relative and is in place to give "noobs" a general idea of "what is what" in terms of power and visibility comparisons.

Keep in mind that the orientation of a 1W multimode 445 will vary the beam intensity as you turn it in your hand due to the rectangular shape of the bea,, which seems to make a fair difference at closer range, for beam brightness.

At night, I find the beam of 1W of 445 to be a little dimmer than that of 150mW 532. The difference to me comes from the contrast and precision of the 532 beam compared to the 445. BOTH however reach as far as the eye can see into the sky and can be clearly seen by those around you.
My best analogy of the appearence would be comparing the shot of a cannon (sheer power, fatter, 445) to a sniper rifle (precise, 532) - if that helps at all.

The daytime however is a completely different story. The green will likely have a somewhat visible beam in a lit room, the 445 is dimmer, but still noticeable. The dot the green visibly reaches MUCH further due to its tighter beam, lower divergence and higher contrast to the environment. At long distances a combination of the lower contrast and larger divergence makes the 445 much harder to see.

Taking all this into account. A decent 100mW green laser with a divergence of 1mrad has an effective NOHD (nominal optical hazard distance, the distance where direct exposure to the eye is safe for 0.25 seconds) of around 80m while a 1W 445nm with a much worse divergence of 1.5mrad - 2mrad has an NOHD of around 200m+. So even if YOU can't see the dot of the 445 on that house 150m away, anyone that looks at the source of that royal blue light would likely get permanent eye damage.

So, as you likely already know, blue for burning, green for pointing/beam/visibility etc.

Oh and for the love of god get some goggles, especially if you're going to be burning. The eagle pair from "survival laser" are good and won't break the bank. Just make sure they're for 532/445.

Good luck getting your laser!

Frankk

I just got the 95mW Viper (532) and the 1W Spartan (447) from DL, and I have to say that the blue one seems ten times brighter than the green. The green beam isn't as visible as I thought it would be. This is at night btw. Though I can say the same for day :p

Last edited:

DJNY

I just got the 95mW Viper (532) and the 1W Spartan (447) from DL, and I have to say that the blue one seems ten times brighter than the green. The green beam isn't as visible as I thought it would be. This is at night btw. Though I can say the same for day :p

Might be underspec. When I got my first higher powered greenie I was like :lasergun::lasergun::lasergun::gun::gun::gun:

Frankk

Might be underspec. When I got my first higher powered greenie I was like :lasergun::lasergun::lasergun::gun::gun::gun:

Well that sucks :S Waited a month and a half for this thing lol

Back on topic though...

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add, the fatness of the 1W makes it much more visible from the side at a much greater distance. The 1mm thick green beam gets very hard to spot perpendicular to the beam after about 10 metres or so whereas the blue is much more easily visible over 20m. This is only at night btw.

I hope you're happy whichever laser you get. :yh: