Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(1st post) Rayfoss blue lasers?

Bacon

I am wondering why a 1W blue laser is so cheap compared to a 1W Green...
Anyways my real question here is out of these three blue lasers (all 1W) which would you think is the "best buy". I'm leaning with he first (bold) because it looks solid/sturdy, and can be focused. What do you all think? I'm also looking for some cheap glasses; possibly o-like.com :thinking:

www.rayfoss.com
www.rayfoss.com
www.rayfoss.com

Next up I think some greens are in order...
(Maybe some greens in the future?)
www.rayfoss.com
Silver chrome green laser 100mW/good finish [OLSGL100] - $62.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

In short, 1W blues use less expensive processes to make the light (diode vs DPSS)

I would stay away from rayfoss if I were you... everything I bought came in FAR underpowered and/or died quickly. Try lazerer, olike or laserbtb (skylasers - check my sig for my review of their stuff) for good "cheap" lasers.

If this is your first laser, work your way up with power starting low, there's no rush getting into really dangerous 1W "toys"

Last edited:

Bacon

Last edited:

IsaacT

For a first laser I would really recommend something between 100-300mW. This will give you an idea for what a laser is capable of, and it will allow you to appreciate lasers other than those which light wood on fire. I think when you skip straight to the top you take all the lower powers for granted and you lose an appreciation for the single mode lasers who are just trying to stay classy.

Cel

Also; what is the big difference between 445nm and 473nm (which is more visible)

Price and power.

445nm is very cheap compared to 473nm, but 473nm is somewhat brighter and looks more sky blue, and it is a rather low powered DPSS (up to 150mW?)

In a handheld, you'd be lucky if your 473nm shot over 120mW's. Per milliwatt, 473nm is brighter, though 445nm will be brighter due to the fact it's so powerful.

Id really suggest just starting out slow,

It looks like you really want a blue first, try a lazerer 100mW blue, or a laserbtb 100mW HL. The beams on the 100mW lasers are called single mode, and are shaped like a circle, while the 1W lasers are shaped like a rectangle.

Bacon

It won't be my first. Although the highest was only 30mw. I think if I can handle Assault riffles and pistols than I could handle a laser, but I do see what you all are saying; perhaps I will opt for 100-200mw since they are so cheap... I do worry about a stray reflection or something shiny bouncing into someone that isn't wearing shades.

The certificates lazerer offers is great. The only things I am worried about is quality, and shipping. Does anyone know where lazerer ships from (I live in the US). **So does the laser have to have a key and a lens cover if I ship to the US? I guess it doesn't if the lazerer is a US company right?

Now it looks like I will be getting LZSK - Stick 532nm 100mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer and then the 1W LZSK - Stick 445nm 1W Focusable Blue Laser Pointer (they look the same :) )

Last edited:
Its a china based company, though I never bought a stick model so I really don't know wha to expect from it.

Bacon

Its a china based company, though I never bought a stick model so I really don't know wha to expect from it.

Which models do you prefer? Are there any downsides to the stick?
I'm just trying to read lots of stuff and gather input before I buy...

For a first laser I would really recommend something between 100-300mW. This will give you an idea for what a laser is capable of, and it will allow you to appreciate lasers other than those which light wood on fire. I think when you skip straight to the top you take all the lower powers for granted and you lose an appreciation for the single mode lasers who are just trying to stay classy.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so glad my first build was an LPC-826 and a DPSS 532nm. If I had of jumped straight into the M140's I would have skipped the lower power builds and would have no idea of the beam quality of a single mode diode or a DPSS module...

Power isn't everything.

Last edited:

Bacon

So far I have a Dealextreme 5mw, but I just got my paycheck today and my evil inpulses is telling me to buy the 1W blue! ITS ONLY $160 (with EMS, sweet EMS)

But my mind is telling me to buy the 100mw green for $~80
Ohh its hard but I think I can live though this, thanks for all of the input you guys!
(I will be supper pissed if I wait and lazerer runs out of stock of those blues though)