Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st Laser Safety Concern

Hi guys. first of all id like to say hi to everyone here so...Hi :).

Secondly. I have been thinking of getting a laser pointer for a while now and have stumbled across the Spider iii Pro Arctic. I have done some research and from reading the wicked lasers sight itself and I now realize for an inexperienced user like myself this would be a silly option. I guess my question too you guys is what sort of laser pen would give me the strongest beam but wouldn't do any lasting damage if accidentally reflected into somebody eye or hit directly in somebodys eyes. Colour of the laser is not too important although id prefer if it wasnt red. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jordan

Thanks alot. Would the beam itself be visable on a 5mw not just the dot so to speak?

Thanks

at night the beam would be visible

green appears brightest to the human eye

also if get a green get one with an IR filter or add your own IR filter

Last edited:
Its the E2 Evolution Fusion, they have 5mw, 20mw, 40mw, 60mw, 80mw, 100mw and 130mw. Ill go for he 5mw as you suggested.

Thanks again

If you wanted good visibility, I'd suggest a 50mW green laser with a pair of goggles.

It gives a solid beam at night, and you can make out the beam in a lit room.

Could a 50mw be damaging to the eyes without goggles though? I'm just thinking in case somebody else is with me who doesn't have any goggles.

Cheers

Anything will be damaging with a direct hit to the eyeball.

Also, t's too bright to look at the dot comfortably on a white surface. Take that into consideration.

You won't need goggles for beam-pointing in the night sky, though.

Razako

If you're completely new to lasers it's probably best to get the 5mw just to get the hang of things. You'll be able to play around with it indoors without worrying about goggles or accidentally blinding someone. You can always get more power later.

YGG

Believe me when I got my first lasers I got a 50mw green and 200mw red, you wouldn't believe how bright the dot was on white surfaces. Almost blinding.

So the 5mw E2 Evolution Fusion would be perfect for me? No risk of eye damage etc?

Thanks for all the help guys! Its really appreciated!

As I understand it <5mw gives a good dot but not an easily visable beam however accidental dirrect exposure to one's eyes isn't terribly damageing though it should be avoided as laser damage is always permanant and cumulative. 15-30mw gives a good beam especially at night which is good for pointing at stars with and the dot isn't considered harmful but the beam does damage within 1/100th of a second if viewed dirrectly. Anything 50-400mw has the added effect of being able to burn and melt objects but still falls into the >5-<500mw category meaning the beam is down right permanantly blinding but the dot from common non reflective objects is low enough power that due to the human tendancy not to look at it because of it's overwhelming brightness it's not required though highly recomended to wear safety goggles for any lasers >5-<400 mw though IR and UV lasers are more dangerous and should be treated with greater care at lower powers than visible spectrum lasers. All lasers >500mw (0.5W) will burn and cause instant eye damage from indirrect viewing of the dot on all common nonreflective objects. As such utmost care should be practiced at all times and specialzed safety goggles must be worn religiously arround these lasers unless you want to be blinded for life.

50mW will not burn anything.

At least 100mW is required to burn.

500mW will not cause instant eye damage from an indirect exposure,. You may be flash blinded, but that is non-permanent. But cumulative exposure will cause eye damage, along with viewing for extended periods. Don't look at the dot at all without goggles.

You should be using goggles for anything over 50mW anyway.