Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st laser build! Advice/info for shopping list...?

M3tal

I'm trying to put together a 405nm diode laser from scratch. Anyone with experience want to offer their expertise on quality components for cheap, or which components will work best for what I'm looking for? :undecided:

Also, I'm curious as to how far you can push a given diode in terms of output without significantly decreasing diode life. For instance, how much more power can be cranked from a diode rated for 100mw CW without sacrificing diode life? Is overdriving a diode "safe" as long as you have sufficient heat dissipation?

I'm on a budget so i guess a diode capable of ~100w+ CW is a good starting point (...tho I would prefer higher power).

Any recommendations for:

diode
driver
module/lens
power source

I really want a Jayrob kit but only have the funds for the basics right now.:cryyy:

:anyone:

I assume you mean mW, and not W. heh. No such thing as a 100W diode. Well. You could probably find an IR bar with that power.

PHR's are dirt cheap and will run around 100mW without dying quick deaths. For the module and lens, just stick with an aixiz module and the acrylic lens it comes with. The 405/445 glass lenses aixiz currently sells perform within a few % of acrylic at 405nm, so the only benefit to them is power handling, which isn't needed for only 100mW. You'll also need a heatsink for the module. As far as drivers, that depends on your goals. what power source do you want to use?

You need to figure out some design goals before you start getting hardware.

mod101

I would go with a PHR as well super cheap and decent quality.

Micro boost would be a good driver but some other people might have better recommendations

also for 100mw a heat sink necessary

M3tal

Yeah, the 100w was a typo, thanks qumefox.

I'm going to see how much the basic components cost & if I have enough I will buy a host. Otherwise I will piece together the parts for practice just to see if I can get it working. Then when I get a host I can install the laser inside.

There is a guy on this forum who used a PC power supply to power his lasers. Would that be something I could use with a prefab driver or would it be better to build my own driver like he did?

M3tal

Update

Just bought these parts from Stonetek.org. :paypal:

405nm diode: PHR-803T HD diode in heat sink 405nm !!! HIGH POWER !! [PHR803T] - $14.99 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

Aixiz module: Aixiz Diode Housing Module 2 Pack ! [Aixiz Diode Module Housing 2 Pac] - $10.49 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

Driver: Surface Mount FULL RANGE ADJUSTABLE Laser Driver pre-assembled [Stonetek_RKCSTR_FULL_RANGE] - $18.99 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

EDIT: I ended up changing my order. I also added a nice (but cheap) host that was supposed to be out of stock but when I asked Greg about it he said he actually had a few... so looks like in about another week or so I will be working on my first laser build!

http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=261

Umm, oh wait. Gonna need a power source too, dangit!

Last edited:
Nice Buy.:)

Dont forget you will need a heatsink and a battery source. With the driver you chosen you need at least to use "2" 3.7v "4.2v when fully charged" cells.;) Also you can use through Aways or a power supply.:)

Get rechargeable ones because you will be spending alot of money on throw aways.:)

You can choose some batteries here:
Battery, Batteries, Rechargeable Battery, Lithium Battery, Cell Batteries on Sale - DealExtreme

Charger Here:
Chargers Store: Battery Charger, AC Adapter, USB Charger, Power Adapter on Sale - DealExtreme

Be Aware that its going to take a wail to get the batteries and charger in if you decide to go with them.

There are a few members here on the forum that can make you a heatsink.

Off the top of my head.:)
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/mohrenberg/
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/jayrob/
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/flaminpyro/
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/ehgemus/

Last edited:

M3tal

Thanks lazeerer, any input is appreciated. I definitely am doing a heatsink of some kind. I've got some copper CPU heatsinks I might try to modify so I can play around with the laser until I can get a good host.

I've been checking out your YouTube channel... I see you're one of the "chosen few" that actually got what you ordered from WL. :beer: I tried to order an Elite but ended up cancelling my order when I realized I might never get it.

Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions...

Did you buy your 12x Blu Ray diode or harvest it? Or is the laser prebuilt? I'm guessing 493mw is pushing it pretty close to the limit. Is the heatsinking sufficient that you can leave it on for long periods of time or do you need to let it cool off?

Also, all the beams look crazy bright in the day shots w/ fog & I'm sure they appear brighter on camera, but how does the brightness of the 2 405nm beams compare to each other day vs. night? i.e. how much more visible is the 493mw than the 100mw? Have you tried pushing the 100mw PHR diode any farther or is that pretty much the limit?

Okay, obviously that's a lot of questions so don't feel that you have to answer them. :thinking:

Thanks lazeerer, any input is appreciated. I definitely am doing a heatsink of some kind. I've got some copper CPU heatsinks I might try to modify so I can play around with the laser until I can get a good host.

I've been checking out your YouTube channel... I see you're one of the "chosen few" that actually got what you ordered from WL. :beer: I tried to order an Elite but ended up cancelling my order when I realized I might never get it.

Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions...

Did you buy your 12x Blu Ray diode or harvest it? Or is the laser prebuilt? I'm guessing 493mw is pushing it pretty close to the limit. Is the heatsinking sufficient that you can leave it on for long periods of time or do you need to let it cool off?

Also, all the beams look crazy bright in the day shots w/ fog & I'm sure they appear brighter on camera, but how does the brightness of the 2 405nm beams compare to each other day vs. night? i.e. how much more visible is the 493mw than the 100mw? Have you tried pushing the 100mw PHR diode any farther or is that pretty much the limit?

Okay, obviously that's a lot of questions so don't feel that you have to answer them. :thinking:

Hey,

I build my own laser myself. So yes the 12x was built by me and the diode was harvested by me.:D Also i have bumped up the 12x to ~580mW now with the 405-G-1 lens. I cant remember exactly what it was but i will be updating my 12x Review thread shortly with the LPM test.:)

The heatsink works OK but it does not have a long period on time. I follow the 1 minute rule on all my laser unless iam making a video.:) But now the max i can leave the laser on before it starts to get really warm is ~2 min no more.

All the beams look crazy because most of them are done with fog. It helps to define the beams alot better and make them more visible.:p

Comparing the 12x to the PHR in brightness the 12x is brighter. But it not like its 4 to 5 times brighter because if the mW difference its maybe like double the brightness of the PHR If not ever so slightly more. When adding fog it looks even more brighter but not by much.

I would not recommend you push the PHR higher then ~100mW. It will shorten the life of the diode and it will be pointless because an extra ~20mW more will not make a difference in brightness and its not worth killing your diode faster.

OT but your 12x should be capable of more than 580mW safely with a 405-g-1. I have one of my prototype builds that peaks at 730mW, and after 15 minutes of runtime only drops down to 699mW. Current is set at 500mA and i've yet to see any non-temperature related degradation. Leave it off a few minutes and it peaks at 730 again.

M3tal

OT but your 12x should be capable of more than 580mW safely with a 405-g-1. I have one of my prototype builds that peaks at 730mW, and after 15 minutes of runtime only drops down to 699mW. Current is set at 500mA and i've yet to see any non-temperature related degradation. Leave it off a few minutes and it peaks at 730 again.
:drool:

I would not recommend you push the PHR higher then ~100mW. It will shorten the life of the diode and it will be pointless because an extra ~20mW more will not make a difference in brightness and its not worth killing your diode faster.

...Not even with sufficient cooling?! :cryyy: Out of curiosity... how well does 100mw burn stuff?

:anyone:How can I get a 12x? Do I have to buy a Blu Ray burner and remove it myself?

No. The problem comes from the facets and not temperature. When you exceed the optical power the facets (cavity mirrors) can take, it degrades/destroys the protective coatings.

On a PHR, that threshold is around 100mW

CHeapest way is to order a 12x sled, usually SF-BW512L's, and extract the diode yourself. The price on the sleds is down to about $50 now. Though in all honesty, I'd practice extracting LOTS of cheap reds first. If you screw up extracting the diode.. which is easy to do.. that's $50 you just blew. Reds are much cheaper to learn on. heh.

Last edited:

M3tal

No. The problem comes from the facets and not temperature. When you exceed the optical power the facets (cavity mirrors) can take, it degrades/destroys the protective coatings.

On a PHR, that threshold is around 100mW

CHeapest way is to order a 12x sled, usually SF-BW512L's, and extract the diode yourself. The price on the sleds is down to about $50 now. Though in all honesty, I'd practice extracting LOTS of cheap reds first. If you screw up extracting the diode.. which is easy to do.. that's $50 you just blew. Reds are much cheaper to learn on. heh.

thanks... when you're ghetto poor like me throwing money away is not an option so I'm really crossing my fingers that it goes right the first time. However, now that I think about it i might have a defunct DVD drive or 2 to practice on! :san:

Actually I had no idea that diodes required mirrors to achieve lasing... :yabbem: or is that unique to 405nm diodes?

Pretty much all lasers have an optical cavity of some type, diode or otherwise. That's where the gain happens.

There might be a few types that can produce enough gain in the lasing medium itself to not need cavity mirrors, but I doubt they'd be anything many of us here would ever see.

The HR and OC mirrors on diodes is part of the coatings on the facets of the diode material itself by the way. They aren't external.

M3tal, good luck with your first laser build :)
I remember how excited I was, when I made my first laser from scratch( it was a phr in a project box ). I bet you feel like that too :)

M3tal

M3tal, good luck with your first laser build :)
I remember how excited I was, when I made my first laser from scratch( it was a phr in a project box ). I bet you feel like that too :)

Ha! Well right now I'm trying not to get too excited, just reading & watching a lot of tutorials while my wife's glares of annoyance burn into my skull.

But yeah, I have a feeling that as soon as I get that box in the mail I'll just about dump my pants with excitement! :knight:

M3tal

It's here!

I got my build kit today, as ordered... What I have: (Thanks Greg! :beer:)

- 1 PHR-803T 405nm diode
- 1 Hotlights blue host w/belt holster & heatsink
- 3 Aixiz modules & 2 extra lenses (for future builds)
- rkcstr driver

What I DON'T have:

- A ready power source of any kind
- A vise
- Money

Heh... guess that build will have to wait a little longer. :cryyy:

Attachments

• Laser stuff.jpg
    Laser stuff.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 181
  • Broken down.jpg
    Broken down.jpg