Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1mw greens?

I want to get myself a 1mw green for use with my dogs. I don't know of any companies that sell these particularly, but I suspect DX lasers have about this level because I fiddled with a Radio Shack DX looking green laser one day and it was slightly dimmer than a 5mw red.

Am I correct in assuming that I can get a DX green for like $12 and have about 1mw of output?

yuip

Actually, someone here (I believe it was Rhith) has reported their DX 5mW reading an average of 10-15mW of green and a few milliwatts of IR.

AtlasNova sells a solid Class II greenie for $63.90 shipped. I think that's probably a bit of out of your price range though.

In the end, I guess the best option would be to get the 5mW DealExtreme NewWish and turn the pot down until the output is around 1-2mW.

agreed. you don't even need to turn the pot down, you'll just have a brighter laser.

yuip said:
Actually, someone here (I believe it was Rhith) has reported their DX 5mW reading an average of 10-15mW of green and a few milliwatts of IR.

AtlasNova sells a solid Class II greenie for $63.90 shipped. I think that's probably a bit of out of your price range though.

In the end, I guess the best option would be to get the 5mW DealExtreme NewWish and turn the pot down until the output is around 1-2mW.

I've potted leadlights before.  Is the DX as easy to do?

BlueFusion said:
agreed. you don't even need to turn the pot down, you'll just have a brighter laser.

I'll have my 50mw Nova for that. I want this one for a dim, reddish brightness indoor laser that just happens to have a green dot. :) That's all I really want out of most of my collection.

Things

Pot modding a DX does nothing, it has a APC(automatic power control)

things said:
Pot modding a DX does nothing, it has a APC(automatic power control)

I don't see how a regulator to keep you from exceeding a maximum output could affect your ability to turn the power down....

i believe the way it works is to keep the output at the maximum out put.... meaning if its to low it will turn up the power and if its to high it will turn down the out put to keep it at 4.9999mw the whole time making it the brighst legal laser

Rhith

DX surely doesn't have something to keep them at the <5mW legal limit. It is true that I got a steady 10-15mW out of mine even after letting it sit on the meter for about a minute with a peak around 16mW I think. (Check my signature) But at the cost it's worth a try to get it since I am sure most aren't that bright. Considering it is also so low that it won't burn you probably can adapt some type of cellophane over the aperture to block out most of the light and keep it at a much safer visible light level.