Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1mw green laser isn't 1mw perhaps?

I have this laser: NEW Military 532nm Green Laser Pointer PEN High Power Bright 5 Mile | eBay

I got it 1 week ago and just got the battery for it today.
I've watched many videos in where people test out 1mw laser's but they aren't very strong and so well today I tested my one and it work really really strong.

I had a 5mw red laser before and it was nothing compared to this 1mw laser I just got
So I was wondering if my eyes couldn't spot the difference or I was sent a different laser or something lol

Any expertise help would be grateful
:thanks:

Last edited:

First of all a 532nm laser is many times brighter than a red of equal power. Also cheap 532nm lasers from China have no quality control whatsoever, so you never know what your going to get or how long it will last, be sure not to drop it and it also may not work in the cold or may take time to warm up. That laser could be anything from 1mW to 50 mW and 532nm also put out IR that you can't see and a cheap one like that will never be IR filtered. So if it ever breaks and yet still gives off a faint red light don't look at it.

Alan

First of all a 532nm laser is many times brighter than a red of equal power. Also cheap 532nm lasers from China have no quality control whatsoever, so you never know what your going to get or how long it will last, be sure not to drop it and it also may not work in the cold or may take time to warm up. That laser could be anything from 1mW to 50 mW and 532nm also put out IR that you can't see and a cheap one like that will never be IR filtered. So if it ever breaks and yet still gives off a faint red light don't look at it.

Alan

Ok..
Thank you very much but is it safe to use?
Like say pointing on walls and such

Ok..
Thank you very much but is it safe to use?
Like say pointing on walls and such

Yes if you are careful and use common sense. Don't look at the dot up too close especially if it seems too bright to look at, and be careful of reflective surfaces like glass, metal, mirrors, etc. It isn't eye safe if you take a direct hit in the eye.

Alan

The power can increase as they warm, or decrease, the same model from laser to laser can act quite differently starting out with low power, then ramping up to high and trailing down to low again. Although I have one which stays at the same output power regardless of how long I run it, but that is the exception. I see they warn not to run the laser more than 20 seconds at a time, I have some I've run much longer and no problem but if that is what they say, don't risk going longer.

Last edited: