Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 battery and charger

antdg

Hi

I looking for a uk based supplier of 18650 batteries and chargers. I got some from DealEx (trustfire 2400) several months ago with a ultrafire charger. One of the cells has already failed and i dont trust the charger 100% after reading about what has happened to others.
Can anybody recommend a good seller and batteries / charger to get.

thanks

antdg

Stix62

Batteries & Chargers - Cloud 9 Vaping

Lithium Rechargeable Batteries | Li-Ion Cells | Flashaholics.co.uk

There's a couple ^^

AW batteries get very good reviews; good batteries for high current draw.

I dunno about the charger. There's a member on here who sells a charger thats suppose to charge to 4.2v everytime (I've got one coming but he's in the states) and sells good quality batteries. (LarryDFW http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/quality-18650-batteries-charger-57069.html)
If you want it from the UK though and dont want another Ultrafire charger, try searching 'XTAR' on ebay.

Last edited:

antdg

Will you let me know how you get on with your items when they arrive.
Will you have to pay import duty on these batteries as they are coming from the states.
thanks
antdg

Stix62

Will you let me know how you get on with your items when they arrive.
Will you have to pay import duty on these batteries as they are coming from the states.
thanks
antdg

I've had 2 Samsung 18650's off Larry already and there was no import duty or vat. I've got 2 more coming and a charger.

It depends whats on the customs label. If its a 'Gift' valued under £40 - no charges.
'Goods' Valued £15.01 and over are liable for import VAT, and £135.01 and over are also liable for customs duty.

I was just checking the customs label on the box my LPM came in. That states a value of $140 (about £90ish) but there was no VAT to pay. I guess it also depends on whether they get checked or not :D

Last edited:

antdg

If I where to get the samsung 18650 from larry would the ultra fire (wf139) charger be ok for charging them or should I replace with a better unit.
still very new to all this :thinking: lol.

Stix62

If I where to get the samsung 18650 from larry would the ultra fire (wf139) charger be ok for charging them or should I replace with a better unit.
still very new to all this :thinking: lol.

WF139 - Thats the rapid charger isn't it?. I'll be able to answer that question for definate in a day or two because I've also got one of those due. It should be fine though (hope so...lol).I bought that because someone on ebay owed me a favour and I got it half price. I just wonder if it will charge to 4.2v. If you were to get a battery or 2 from Larry, why not get the charger there too.

There is one thing I dont like about the Samsungs I think's worth mentioning.
The +ve end is very flat and the contact doesn't seem to protrude as high as other batteries. It can be tricky sitting one in a charger so it makes proper contact and starts charging.
Actually, now I think about (jees, I'm slow sometimes), I've had to give my 500mw o-like greenie a shake once or twice to get it to start lasing. Thats only had a Samsung in.

At 350 to 400 mA charging current WF139 is far for rapid.

Question?

Why you guys charging Samsung 4.35V with 4.2V charger?

Something is wrong with that picture :thinking:

Stix62

At 350 to 400 mA charging current WF139 is far for rapid.

Question?

Why you guys charging Samsung 4.35V with 4.2V charger?

Something is wrong with that picture :thinking:

Personally, I've not found a charger that will charge to 4.35v yet. If you know of one, please tell us :D

Personally, I've not found a charger that will charge to 4.35v yet. If you know of one, please tell us :D

Just for people who are wondering why I am asking why you are charging 4.35 batt. with 4.2V charger?

Charging 4.35V 3000mAh cell with standard 4.2V charger will give you about 2600mAh, and not the starting voltage (that was the main reason you bought your 4.35V cells) of 4.35V.

Why not just buy 2600mAh cheaper cell ? That's what you have now.

I do have access to 4.35V commercial style chargers, but do not know how many people are interested in buying those chargers.

I am talking fully manufactured "plug, and charge" chargers.

Samsung, Sanyo, LG 4.35V cannot compete with NCR18650A 3100mAh Panasonic anyway ;)

Stix62

Just for people who are wondering why I am asking why you are charging 4.35 batt. with 4.2V charger?

Charging 4.35V 3000mAh cell with standard 4.2V charger will give you about 2600mAh, and not the starting voltage (that was the main reason you bought your 4.35V cells) of 4.35V.

Oh I see, I didn't know that.
I bought the Samsung as an alternative to various rated xxxxxfires just because I wanted a more 'reliable' battery.

edit: I bought a couple of lasers from O-like the other week and the batteries and charger came this morning (i'd forgotten about those - o-like ship them seperately). I've just charged an Ultrafire 18650 and AW IMR 18650 on the cheapo charger and both have charged to 4.26v. I wasn't expecting that. The Xtars only charge to 4.18v.

Last edited:
WF139 - Thats the rapid charger isn't it?. I'll be able to answer that question for definate in a day or two because I've also got one of those due. It should be fine though (hope so...lol).I bought that because someone on ebay owed me a favour and I got it half price. I just wonder if it will charge to 4.2v. If you were to get a battery or 2 from Larry, why not get the charger there too.

There is one thing I dont like about the Samsungs I think's worth mentioning.
The +ve end is very flat and the contact doesn't seem to protrude as high as other batteries. It can be tricky sitting one in a charger so it makes proper contact and starts charging.
Actually, now I think about (jees, I'm slow sometimes), I've had to give my 500mw o-like greenie a shake once or twice to get it to start lasing. Thats only had a Samsung in.

I have a WF-139 and it's a rapid charger. It's listed as 4.2V at a 450mA charge rate. You don't EVER want to charge Li-ion batteries over 4.2V.

See if it comes with the spacers for your CR-123's and 16340's. If not you can get them for this charger from ebay for $2.00.

Here's some good info on Li-ion battery charging:

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

"Li-ion cannot absorb overcharge, and when fully charged the charge current must be cut off. A continuous trickle charge would cause plating of metallic lithium, and this could compromise safety. To minimize stress, keep the lithium-ion battery at the 4.20V/cell peak voltage as short a time as possible.
Once the charge is terminated, the battery voltage begins to drop, and this eases the voltage stress."

Xtar has a 2 speed rapid charger that's 1A & 500mA....that's a little too fast for me. I think slow charging is better for the life of your batteries.

Xtar

Last edited:

--> FS: Cottonpickers Chargers incl. Worlds smallest Li-ion charger with display

Why not just buy 2600mAh cheaper cell ? That's what you have now.
Although we'd never see the real-world effects of this in our usage, cell life is extended by slightly undercharging. If you don't want to charge your cell to 4.35, then don't buy a 4.35V cell.

I do have access to 4.35V commercial style chargers, but do not know how many people are interested in buying those chargers.
You're spouting the merits of your wares and not selling the part that makes your cells so special? Look at the charger I linked to. Many people would be comfortable using that. BUT many more people would be interested in the plug-and-go chargers that you claim to have access to. You know new cells will always be released, but 4.2V and 4.35V are the terminating voltages, and probably will be for a while.

Samsung, Sanyo, LG 4.35V cannot compete with NCR18650A 3100mAh Panasonic anyway

Of course Panasonic can't compete with Sanyo :na: Without Sanyo, Panasonic would still be producing run-of-the-mill cells :evil:

Absolutely agree.

Why would you buy 4.35V 3000mAh cell, if you can get only about 2600mAh when charged with 4.2V chargers most of us have. Why would you pay extra , for performance you cannot have.

First batch of real "plug and charge" commercial 4.35V chargers (2 charging slots) will be available soon. Sometime is hard to negotiate good price for small quantities like 500 pcs. ;)

Your last comment - I would only partially agree. They are still 2 separate R&D departments. For people who do not know what we are talking about:
Sanyo is now under Panasonic leadership. Panasonic obviously knows which company to buy.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree.

Why would you buy 4.35V 3000mAh cell, if you can get only about 2600mAh when charged with 4.2V chargers most of us have. Why would you pay extra , for performance you cannot have.

First batch of real "plug and charge" commercial 4.35V chargers (2 charging slots) will be available soon. Sometime is hard to negotiate good price for small quantities like 500 pcs. ;)

Your last comment - I would only partially agree. They are still 2 separate R&D departments. For people who do not know what we are talking about:
Sanyo is now under Panasonic leadership. Panasonic obviously knows which company to buy.

Hi Brenner, do you have those charger for sale? How much? How their look? Thanks

You guys can buy an 18650 4.35 V battery and a battery holder(like $.50 on ebay) and build a charge circuit yourself. They're not very difficult to build, just don't charge at a ridiculous rate, please.