Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

180mw "Green Weenie"

IWIRE

Born 7/6/2014 "Green Weenie". Found the host on Ebay. Had Mrcrouse machine a heat sink. Used a microboost drive. Used the stock LED driver as the battery contact just stripped the components off the back. I'll try and post a better beam shot. I will admit, it's kind of nice having something that doesn't cause everything it touches to start smoking :)

Thanks for looking ! :beer:

Jstr

That's a nice looking host. Some gitd might look cool on it. What type battery does it take?

I assume that's the 520b1? Also what current did you set it at?

Born 7/6/2014 "Green Weenie". Found the host on Ebay. Had Mrcrouse machine a heat sink. Used a microboost drive. Used the stock LED driver as the battery contact just stripped the components off the back. I'll try and post a better beam shot. I will admit, it's kind of nice having something that doesn't cause everything it touches to start smoking :)

Thanks for looking ! :beer:

Great job on that IWIRE, that thing is really small. I too very much enjoy my green because its visible but doesn't burn stuff.

Alan

Wow, you're getting good. You might want to touch that contact board with a little isopropananol.
Sometimes it's best though to just leave things alone once they're all closed up and working. Maybe for
future reference

Sometimes the best results come from just heating the board up with a heat gun and wiping with a towel.

IWIRE

That's a nice looking host. Some gitd might look cool on it. What type battery does it take?

I assume that's the 520b1? Also what current did you set it at?
Thanks Jstrawn, I thought it was a pretty cool little host, seems to be made fairly well. I like the tail clicky. The front that's polished now used to be black, I blasted it and did a quick polish job on it.

It takes a 16340 battery, I'm using an AW cell. Yes it's the B1 diode, I got it from DTR, the drive is set to .4a . I was going to use an Xboost mini but this one fit better. Not much room in this thing.
*note* I just went and looked at DTR's test of this diode and he is getting a little over 200mw at .4a. So either I had the wrong number of diodes selected on my test load and it's really not set to .4a , my lens may be dirty or my battery may not be fully charged. I'll report back what I find :)

Great job on that IWIRE, that thing is really small. I too very much enjoy my green because its visible but doesn't burn stuff.

Alan
Yes, it is very small. The diode module is the shortest one DTR uses and part of it sticks out the back of the heatsink. I almost didn't use the back half of the module but I wanted as much heat transfer as I could get.
It is a fun laser, I'm starting to understand the pointer aspect now. I have one more crazy high watt build I'm going to do then I think I'll switch to low watt builds for awhile.

Wow, you're getting good. You might want to touch that contact board with a little isopropananol.
Sometimes it's best though to just leave things alone once they're all closed up and working. Maybe for
future reference

Sometimes the best results come from just heating the board up with a heat gun and wiping with a towel.
Thanks Lightning Stalker, I appreciate the kind words and the fact someone notices I'm improving :) I'm not good yet, but they are getting almost acceptable.

Your right, I keep meaning to pick up some alcohol and I keep forgetting. Now that you called me on it I'll remember :)

That's how I stripped the components off the board, my soldering station has a hot air gun too. I just used tweezers and the gun,

Thanks for the tips, I'll REP you if it lets me :beer:

Edit : I said I would check back with my findings of why my output was lower than I thought it should be. I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me. I've tried multiple fully charged batteries. Multiple clean lenses. Tried both of my LPM's and tested them with lasers of known outputs. There was something that resembled a fingerprint on the diode lens. It cleaned right off. I checked the output of my microboost drive it was still set to .4 I increased it to .55 and the output stayed the same. I removed the microboost and installed an xboost tried .4 and .55, same 180mw output. I even did something I know is a bad idea, I hooked an ammeter inline with my diode and my current really is set where I had been setting it with my test load.

I take the diode and hook it directly to my PS. It climbs normally until it hits .4 to .45 which is 180mw. Then it stops climbing. I can keep raising the current and it stays at 180mw. When I hit .7a the output starts decreasing. I simply don't know. I set my microboost to .55a, put it back together and said screw it. It's a 180mw green weenie. Beam looks fine, dot looks fine, the image the diode projects without a lens looks fine. I can't explain it.

I'll try and do a beam shot tomorrow night. Tonight I was too busy scratching my head. Any ideas ?

Edit the edit : After all that I find out this diode falls in the normal output range for this diode. 180mw is normal. :crackup:

Last edited: