Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

180mW Blu-ray pictures

IgorT said:
So this one has been running for six days now?

I lost one diode while it was putting out 174mW (after a plastic lens), at 187mA. It was a very efficient freak diode.
I had one, that tested slightly lower, and i set it a bit lower, to 178mA, but got 179mW! But i was worried it would kill itself with a higher optical output, even tho it was running at a lower current, so i lowered it further to 169mA, and now it's at 171mW..

But seeing this makes me want to go higher again.  ::)

Too bad you don't know the current.. The PHR diodes vary in power a lot! I set the weakest one i could find to 191mA, and it's only doing 130mW..

You just wait!! stop killing those poor diodes... give it a week you'll have all the power you need ;D

yobresal said:
Yeah it's pretty sweet. If you told me 1 year ago that I would have a 180mW blu-ray that I built for less than $50 I would have had a good laugh.

More like "whats a bluray?". I first heard of blurays when the sonar came out, idk when that was but must have been a long time ago.

Amnizu

Is it my imagination, or does the laser make an audible noise when you first turn it on?

Entity

Ok, I've been gone for w while. Could someone fill me in please? So there are two bluray diodes out there right? The 803t ones which are found in all bluray readers like the ps3 sleds, and then there are the immensely expensive 6x diodes used in devices that burn bluray disks. But I thought the weaker diodes were only capable of like 30-60mWs. So are there more than two diode types out there? What about those 10mW bluray pointers on ebay...

And what sort of power could be reached with a typical 6x diode? 200mWs? This seems way to high but if it sounds like you guys are getting 150mW plus withOUT overdriving the diodes, well, i don't know what to think.

daguin

Entity said:
Ok, I've been gone for w while. Could someone fill me in please? So there are two bluray diodes out there right? The 803t ones which are found in all bluray readers like the ps3 sleds, and then there are the immensely expensive 6x diodes used in devices that burn bluray disks. But I thought the weaker diodes were only capable of like 30-60mWs. So are there more than two diode types out there? What about those 10mW bluray pointers on ebay...

And what sort of power could be reached with a typical 6x diode? 200mWs? This seems way to high but if it sounds like you guys are getting 150mW plus withOUT overdriving the diodes, well, i don't know what to think.

There are at least 4, 405nm diodes available to us: PS3, DT-0811, PHR-803T, & 6X

There are also now hitting the market, small low powered modules. I have one that puts out 8mW @ 32mA input (thanks Chris)

I don't know if the 10mW lasers on eBay are "regular" diodes that are not driven very hard or if they are another (or the same) small modules.

Peace,
dave